Position: Technician – Geotechnical
Lumwana Mine, Kalumbila, Zambia.
Reporting to: Senior Supervisor – Geotechnical
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Technician – Geotechnical
Reporting to the Senior Supervisor – Geotechnical, you will be is responsible for sample collection and laboratory soils testing according to the LMC and internationally accepted standards. You will also be responsible for collection of geotechnical monitoring data as directed by the Senior Supervisor – Geotechnical. Your duties will include but not limited to the following:
- Carry out all work in compliance to relevant procedures and Zambian regulatory requirements,
- Perform geotechnical laboratory testing to comply with internationally recognised standards (British Standard or similar).
- Carry out in-situ testing of earthworks.
- Collection of samples for laboratory testing.
- Collection and communication of slope monitoring data and communication of any anomalies.
- Ensure that all works carried out comply with procedural, safety, quality, and design requirements.
- Regularly inspect and monitor ground conditions of pit slopes as directed by the Senior Technician.
- Carry out blast vibration monitoring and blast audits, and record and communicate the results for feedback into drill and blast design.
- Supervise slope stabilisation works, geotechnical drilling, and installation of monitoring equipment with an emphasis on a high level of safety and quality.
- Continually improve their geotechnical skills by way of working through the geotechnical technician skills matrix and seeking guidance and mentorship from the Senior Geotechnical Technician
- Collection of ground water monitoring data from piezometers
- Assist the geotechnical engineers with damp audits and pit inspection
- Maintenance of slope monitoring instrumentation (radars and total stations)
Experience & Qualifications
- Grade 12 certificate.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in the mining industry.
- Experience geotechnical lab works is added advantage
- Able to clearly demonstrate the aptitude to drive a light vehicle and hold a current Zambian driver’s licence or be able to obtain one.
- Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination.
- Proven ability to deliver results and act as a change agent.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team safely and improve team safety awareness.
- High level understanding of all relevant legislation affecting the employment and safety of persons in the mining industry in Zambia.
- Demonstrated application of continuous improvement ideas
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks .
To apply for this job please visit jobs.barrick.com .