- Company: First Quantum Minerals
- Location: Zambia
- State: Solwezi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Zambia
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
To support the development of Safety policies and practices within Zambia as per key responsibilities.
- To ensure the day to day management of safety issues are addressed with the Safety Manager
- Will look beyond the immediate risks to identify potential latent failures that are in the company processes and set in place processes to mitigate against these risks.
- Liaise with all Safety Officers and assist in implementation of Safety and Health Standards in line with Corporate strategy and annual business plans.
- Safety Sup will be a direct resource and provide daily guidance to deal with safety issues that arise.
- Audit Kansanshi operational areas against the FQM Health and Safety Management System standards and assist with improving compliance levels.
- Audit Kansanshi operational areas against policy, risk and impact identification and assist with the development of action plans.
- Review, design and implement summarized site operational health and safety topics and procedures.
- Review and assist in the standardization of site contractor controls and procedures.
- Provide strategic direction and input towards a more systematic approach to overall health and safety management at sites ensuring a continual improvement approach in line with OHSAS 18001 (2007)
- Audit Emergency response preparedness, procedures and training and assist in the continual improvement planning for emergency resources. (includes community awareness).
- Monitor and review accidents and incidents and review recurrent events and assist in development and implementation of remedial actions.
- Participate in high potential incident investigations and identify areas for improvement, and ensure relevant alerts are sent to Safety Manager for group circulation.
- Assist in compiling monthly reports from all operations on site.
- Support management & supervisor development training programs and establish high standards of safety performance for management.
- Support the organizational culture of FQM (Bolder, Driven, Smarter) and actively promote it’s translation in terms of safety related activity
- Keep abreast of new developments and best practices in the field of H&S and make recommendations for improvements
- Provide support and participate to the implementation of the Visible Field Leadership program on site.
- Conduct monthly Safety Contractors meeting when required.
- Chair and conduct monthly SHE representative meeting on a monthly basis.
- Ensure monitoring of sub-contractors’ safety performance and conduct quarterly audits to ensure compliance to the “Health & Safety requirements for contractors “procedure
- Report all statutory documentation to the relevant regulatory organizations. (MSD, Workmen’s compensation)
- Implement weekly accident / Incident review meetings with each relevant Department
- Conduct monthly Safety review meetings with Superintendents / Senior Supervisors in each section
- Ensure all accidents are completed on SharePoint
- Ensure all Hazards are identified and actioned on SharePoint and close out.
- Ensure all Legal appointments are in place per section
- Conduct random inspections and ensure full compliance to lifting equipment registers and inspections.
- Ensure all MSDS are up to date in each relevant section.
- Review baseline risk assessments in your section and ensure all recommendations are put in place.
- Randomly conduct Planned Task Observations in conjunction with the training centre.
- Compile a workplace inspection matrix and ensure all work places are visited on a monthly basis in your section.
- Must oversee general safety behavioral surveys when required (Think, Toolbox talks etc.)
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Full Grade 12 Certificate
- Degree in OSHE or Equivalent.
- Able to understand Company Procedures, Guide to Mining Regulation and other Zambian laws.
- Member of relevant professional body
- Holder of a valid driver’s license
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience with at least 5 years’ in the mining industry at senior management level