Superintendent, Enterprise Mining
Jobs at:First Quantum Minerals
Deadline of this Job:
25 October 2021
Within Zambia , Kalumbila , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
The Mining Superintendent is responsible for the management of the mining contractor, the eventual haulage contractor, and internal resources and processes associated with pit dewatering, water management and general internal infrastructures at the Enterprise Mine. The role requires the consistent focus and attention towards the achievement of safety, environmental compliance, production, quality goals and objectives through the efficient application of the mining contractor fleet and other resources. The key purpose is the safe achievement mining targets with quality-driven and cost effective manner in alignment with the overall mine plan.
Specific Job Responsibility
• Develop, implement, enhance and maintain legal compliance, HSE compliance, incident prevention and operational performance though work procedures, processes, workforce competence, upskilling and systems
• Promote high safety, environment and health awareness.
• Ensure that visible leadership is provided to the mining team to optimise production flows.
• Set, monitor, control and manage to achieve quality, safety and environmental compliance targets.
• Support the Mine Manager in the integration of CSR activities linked to mining operations.
• Develop a succession plan for direct report roles, and be accountable for the training of own staff.
• Assist the Mine Manager in managing the various contractors involved in the mining area.
• Lead and manage to achieve continuous optimisation of production processes, especially in the integration of the various contractors (haulage, mining, explosives) and the internal functions (geology, planning, blast engineering).
• Develop and nurture strong relationships with all stakeholders on the nickel value chain, inclusive of processing to enable a strong mine-to-mill integration;
• Build a ‘team’ environment with geology, mine planning, maintenance, maintenance planning, metallurgists/plant ops, business optimisation and data systems; Take ownership in developing these interactions to the benefit of the team and the operation.
• Develop with the relevant resources the use of modern data techniques to support the Mining Operations’ integration with the other’s functions systems.
• Identify, budget, cost, implement and monitor the development of infrastructures projects enhancing compliance, cost, performance and/or quality, with the assistance of the Mine Manager.
• Ownership of the infrastructure equipment such as pumps and water treatment facilities to ensure maximum availability, notably through ensuring diagnosis of defects, root cause analysis and implementation of both corrective and preventative measures.
• Conduct regular performance reviews with contractors
• Ensure compliance with health, safety legal requirements and enforce relevant Mining Sector legislation
• Regular reconciliation of key performance indicators to track performance
• Assist in the development and management of the operational budgets.
• Implement FQM Way culture across the Mining team – “Smarter, Bolder, Driven, Together;”
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the direct supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies
• Excellent leadership qualities with the ability to build and direct large operational teams.
• Strong ability to task assign, build working relations and coordinate different operating disciplines to create a multidisciplinary “team” environment;
• Excellent cognitive and analytical skills for identifying process shortfalls, equipment bottlenecks and implementing corrective and preventative action plans;
• Computer and MS Office suite literacy, inclusive of MS Projects. PowerBI and other data tools is advantageous.
• Strong understanding of technical, production and maintenance strategies for a mining operation;
• Being conversant with modern data management and visualisation tools, such as PowerBi, is beneficial.
• Ability to enforce & uphold discipline according to the company code of conduct.
• Ability to enforce and maintain safe working practices and conditions.
• Ability to perform under pressure.
• Strong understanding of the development & achievement of mine plans.
Key Job Attributes
• Ability to balance assertiveness and cooperation to optimise relationships with various contractors.
• Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction;
• Self-motivated and conscientious.
• Commitment to continuous improvement.
• Problem solving and analytical skills.
• Time management and ensuring quality service.
• Good verbal and communication skills.
• Ability to constantly deliver quality workmanship.
• Ability to proactively identify and respond positively to opportunities and risks.
• Must be honest and trustworthy.
Experience Required to Perform in This Job
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in Surface Load and Haul operations in a supervisory role.
• Experience with mining infrastructures in a wet environment, including pit dewatering, small dam management, general pumping and piping. Coagulation/flocculation experience in water treatment is advantageous.
• Experience of all stages of mining operations, including load, haul, drill & blast operations; mine optimisation and mine planning are advantageous.
• Degree Mining Engineering or any mining related field.
• Blasting Ticket / License.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Eligibility for EIZ/ERB
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please click here to apply.