Superintendent Central Workshops
Jobs at:First Quantum
Deadline of this Job:
06 August 2021
Within Zambia , Kalumbila , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Monday, July 26, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Superintendent Central Workshops
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
The position of Superintendent Central Workshops will manage the Engineering functions of the Light vehicles, Medium vehicles, load shifting, component rebuild, steel fabrication and salvage yard sections. This will include overseeing field and administration requirements of these sections. The Superintendent will oversee the general safety, productivity, work schedules, work quality and coordination with other Superintendents to ensure team work.
Reporting directly to the Assistant Manager, Business Support, you shall be responsible for providing the highest quality services and that all services provided are performed within a safe and timely manner.
Specific Job Responsibility
The specific tasks to be performed by the position holder will include:
• Be a team leader in all Engineering functions of your assigned section.
• Provide training/guidance/direction to Mechanical Engineering Coordinators reporting directly to you on all matters related to Engineering functions in your responsible section.
• Monitor and control the activities of all Engineering personnel including contractors in your responsible section.
• Enforce accuracy, methodology and practicality; when giving guidance to Mechanical staff in your responsible section.
• Enforce compliance to work orders and documents such as JSA’s, work procedure’s, SWI’s, etc.
• Ensure that all your subordinates are trained and aware of specifications, work procedures and utilised to ensure optimal efficiency.
• Enforce maintaining of effective maintenance schedules of required Engineering activities in your responsible section.
• Assist in the proactive identification of repair and maintenance works required, which includes spare part sourcing abilities for equipment under your supervision.
• Understand, plan and manage all related cost controls of the various sections under your responsibility.
• Ability to plan required work activities; to ensure that specifications are adhered to, tools, equipment and materials are available to execute all tasks when required.
• Responsible for safety of all personnel in your designated area.
• Support project works and construction management; in planning and utilisation by proper means and method of execution.
• Analyse situations; identify / foresee pertinent problems and evaluate realistic options; recommend and implement appropriate course of action where required.
• Adhere to the company safety, health and environmental policies and ensure that all relevant staff under your responsibility are trained and certified competent in all these policies used on site.
• Ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders involved.
• Ability to attend to detail and work in a time conscious manner.
Job Specific Competencies
• Must be able to lead staff by example in the FQM way of doing things [ Bolder, Smarter, Driven & Together].
• Must be able to lead and instill a culture of safety conscious team members and not tolerate substandard quality of work.
• Must be a self-starter and able to work autonomously and as part of a team, to drive change in your areas of responsibility.
• Must have a positive, self-motivated and conscientious attitude.
• Must be safety orientated and drive the company safety directives.
• Must have the ability to enforce company policies and procedures.
• Must be able to provide feedback to senior management with regards to the employee morale and workplace concerns
Key Job Attributes
• Detail orientation and attention to detail of work required.
• Ability to oversee that tasks are done in a timely and controlled manner.
• Ability to guide staff on problem solving activities.
• Be a team player [for management and the workforce].
• Be actively involved with continuous improvement in your designated area of responsibility.
• The ability to make informed decisions and execution of such decisions.
• Effective and understandable written and verbal communication skills.
• Complete understanding and ability of the Microsoft ‘suite’ of software packages.
Experience Required to Perform in This Job
• 10 years’ experience in the mining / motor vehicle industry or equivalent as a Coordinator or Superintendent.
• Proven knowledge and experience on Light / Medium vehicles, forklifts, mobile and overhead cranes, man-lifts, generator and pumps.
• Repair / rebuild maintenance supervision background, with preference given to medium and large fleet experience.
• Proven knowledge and experience in metal fabrication works including bucket and tray repairs for big mining equipment.
• Exceptional knowledge of welding procedures and processes required to repair / rebuild heavy mobile equipment.
• Software diagnostics of all equipment utilized in this section on vehicles will be advantageous.
• A Grade 12 Certificate.
• A minimum of Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Higher education attainment will be an added advantage.
• A member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ) or ability to obtain membership of this Institution.
• Valid Zambian vehicle driver’s permit (International vehicle driving permit with the ability to convert / obtain a Zambian vehicle driving permit, will be acceptable).
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Visit our website at careers.first-quantum.com
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.