- Company: First Quantum Minerals Ltd (FQM)
- Location: Zambia
- State: Solwezi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - Engineering Jobs in ZambiaProduction Jobs in Zambia
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
The Shift Boss is responsible for the safe, efficient and productive supervising of blast holes within the surface mining operation. The incumbent will also be responsible for assisting the Mine Captain in providing Technical Support to the Drilling Operations Team(s) and oversight to all drilling activities in line with MR 213.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of drill workers including requisition materials, supplies, equipment parts, or repair services
- Train workers in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and confer with managerial and technical personnel, other departments and contractors to resolve problems and co-ordinate activities
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Support and promotes a culture of “Safety & Health above all else” and environmental responsibility, a positive safety culture with a target for zero incidents and accidents
- Ensuring good mobile plant operating practices are adhered to, damage minimised, and drilling operations are to procedures.
- Hand over to oncoming shift supervisor by updating status board, changeover book and marking off cuts on level plans so oncoming Shift Supervisor has all information necessary to continue the smooth running of the work areas.
- Ensure employees’ behaviour in the workplace is to company standards
- Ensure relevant stakeholders’ requirement are met by building and maintaining productive internal and external relationships
- Understands specifications, drawings, and survey staking and is able to translate and communicate this information into the field
- Plans for team and individual results and delegates accordingly
- Provides effective leadership to build a strong employee culture
- Responds to particular situations and people to ensure best practices are being employed
- Contributes to the continuous improvement initiatives of the department
- Ensures a high level of quality and production standards
- Establishes the most efficient use of resources in order to reach targets/ goals
- Reports any problems or unforeseen issues that could affect the plan to the Mine Captain
- Ensures the crews and PICs have correct information tools and equipment to perform their duties
- Participate in recommending or executing personnel actions, such as hiring (interviewing), evaluations, promotions and discipline
- Grade Twelve (12) Certificate
- Diploma or Degree in Mining Engineering or Equivalent
- Valid Driver’s License
- Blasting License holder
- First Aid certificate holder
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in an open pit mining environment.
- Familiarity with the use of tools, fixtures and equipment for blasting aids