Jobs at:First Quantum Minerals
Deadline of this Job:
29 December 2021
Within Zambia , Kalumbila , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Friday, December 17, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
To carry out or workshop and open pit support services to the Sentinel mine site. This will be done in such a manner so as to achieve cost savings, continuous improvement initiatives, and utilization of synergies throughout the area. This role will carry out the activities of the Multi - Skilled Operator at the RTWS to ensure the application of appropriate levels of safety and productivity are maintained in order to meet safety, cost and productivity targets. The Multi – Skilled Operator is an important role established to support service to facilities for Sentinel.
Specific Job Responsibility
Field and workshop maintenance and related lifting gear inspections
• Inspecting of all lifting equipment to ensure their safety before use
• Report all defects of the equipment as highlighted in the pre – start / checklist book.
• Operating and proper setting up of the Mobile Cranes for safe operations.
• Ability to operate diesel mast fork lifts, telescopic / tele – handlers under general supervision.
• Maintain a safe standard of accuracy when working with any machine in extreme weather conditions.
• Participate in root cause analysis as per defects reported when required.
• Carry out planned maintenance according to planned schedules at the workshop and in the pit on all loading units / drills.
• Work and communicate with team members to ensure smooth operations.
• Safe Handling of various loads when working with Cranes and other lifting equipment.
• Be able to lift and lower components / materials with precision and transport heavy loads safely to various worksites.
• Set up and operate a mobile / overhead crane and other lifting equipment.
• Operate lifting equipment according to verbal, written or signal instructions.
• Communicate effectively with others and interpret any given hand signal.
• Ensure annual, quarterly and daily safety inspections are conducted.
• Operate different equipment during the shift when required to do so.
• Crew members and material are hoisted and maneuverer in a safe and proficient manner by performing site surveys. Task analysis
• Ensure that all work is carried out according to mine safety standards and procedures
• Assist with training staff on mine safety standards
• Continuous on the job risk analysis
• Ensure all safe working procedures are followed with regards to all mobile crane and all rigging equipment as per safety standard.
• Report all unsafe or near missis to workshop shift supervisor
• Ensure proper and safe use of rigging equipment and mobile cranes
• Operate strictly according to company and statutory quality, safety, environmental and health regulations and policies
• Report all incidents to the Shift Rigging Supervisor
Experience & Qualifications
• At least 4 years on Mobile / Overhead Crane operating and Basic rigging skills preferably in a mining environment or similar.
• Experience with grove mobile crane, Overhead Cranes, JLG work platforms, tele Manitou, Maniscopic, tele handlers, etc. an advantage.
• Able to read and complete a routine rigging study / lifting plan as required.
• Analytical skills to perform lift calculation, e.g. boom length, boom radius, boom angle and basic load mass determination.
• Experience in the selection and configuration of all lifting equipment to ensure that the equipment is correctly selected to move loads according to weight and size.
• Must also know how to choose, attach and use appropriate rigging equipment, slings shackles, chains, eye bolts and other related lifting gear.
• Analytical skills to perform basic lift calculations. Demonstrable ability to read and understand a load chart of a lifting machine (mobile crane / overhead crane)
• Ability to operate man lifts and maneuverer in confined spaces in a safe and proficient manner by performing site surveys, task analysis, critical lifts when the job demands to do so.
• Must have demonstrable experience in communicating well with others when operating cranes, forklifts and other elevated work platforms.
• Perform operator level maintenance on assigned crane, fork lift, Telehandler, Cherry picker and other rigging equipment.
• Safely lift large heavy loads, machinery components or construction materials without causing damage to the load being moved, property or injury to personnel.
• Mobile or Overhead Crane Operator / Fork Lift / Man lift etc. certified by an OSHA accredited organization or any relevant level of competency Certified by a reputable training centre / institution.
• Member or the engineering institute of Zambia
• Extras heavy driving licence is essential (EC or EC1)
• OEM driver rigger qualifications an advantage (e.g. Grove, GMK, Franna, Manitowoc and Manitou).
• Grade 12 School Certificate / GCE or Grade 9 School certificate.
Job Specific Competencies
• Must be up to date, and willing to comply with all SHE standards
• Familiar with all necessary safety equipment and work procedures.
• Able to assess each load and select proper equipment for the job
• Solid working knowledge of all rigging equipment
• Comply with all safety statutory requirements that govern lifting equipment.
• Experienced with crane assembly and disassembly
• Solid math skills for calculating load requirements
• Physically capable of working in demanding conditions
• Able to sit, stand, bend, work on your feet and lift 50 lbs on a regular basis
• Excellent vision and hearing capabilities
• Not afraid of heights or climbing ladders, scaffolding, etc.
• Use a cherry picker; Scissor Lift or forklift with implements of work platform to elevate workers during maintenance, breakdown / repair and construction jobs.
• Good English communication skills
Key Job Attributes
• Able to handle work with a great sense of professionalism
• Possesses good organizational skills
• Good oriented person
• Maintain a professional approach to duties and responsibilities with the capability of making timely, rational decisions and an ability to meet deadlines.
• Act with honesty and integrity in all areas: maintain confidentiality in dealings with subordinates, clients and customers.
• Demonstrate accuracy, time management and organizational skills.
• Maintain a professional work ethic through effective, honest communication with supervisors, peers, and subordinates.
• Commitment to reach or exceed maintenance, operational and safety goals.
• Work effectively in a team environment, supporting other team members when needed.
• Sound planning, analytical, and problem solving skills.
• Well-developed interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in English.
• Knowledge and understanding of diverse third world cultures and customs an advantage
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Job application procedure
Please click here to apply.