Position: Mine Geologist
Lumwana Mine, Kalumbila, Zambia.
Reporting to: Coordinator Production Geology
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the Northwestern region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position Mine Geologist.
Reporting to the Coordinator Production Geology, you will participate on a daily basis in the ore control activities i.e. attending meetings, ore block design, ore block mark outs, dilution control and production reporting. Must also ensure that the planned feed grade material is delivered to the process plant as well as coordinate the drilling, sampling and the collection of geological data. Your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure that ore blocks are optimally designed to minimise ore loss and dilution.
- Ensure all ore blocks mark-ups are checked against the ore block design plan.
- Communicate clearly with mine supervisors to make sure that ore is being mined according to company standards.
- Ensure that the ore design procedures being correctly followed, and all ore block data is being managed correctly i.e ore block details file.
- Vulcan grade control block model is being correctly flagged and updated with mineable blocks at the end of each month. Know how to evaluate and report minable blocks against the reserve model and report.
- Ensure all production reconciliations (mineable block to model, ore block planned to actual, crusher feed to plant etc etc) are being carried out on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis and disseminated to all designated staff. The appropriate actions are being communicated to rectify any reconciliation issues.
- Ensure that all geological technicians are correctly managing the collection of all geological data i.e. sampling (gamma logger and met) and mapping.
- Ensure that data is evaluated and make recommendations on how to improve the feed grade, maximise recovery and throughput in the process plant.
- Ensure that geological technicians are complying with their daily responsibilities i.e. refresh ore mark-up tapes, mark ups are clear, communicating clearly with mine supervisors, supervising sampling, mapping and ore spotting requirements.
- Ensure that modular daily material movement’s data is checked and updated before the daily report is sent by the dispatch engineer each morning.
- Maintain open and clear communication channels with the metallurgists to ensure ore characteristic information i.e. grade, hardness, recovery, upgrade factors, etc for feed material is being shared to improve recoveries and throughputs.
- Ensure that blast holes are being correctly identified and sampled and that gamma logging is performed according to procedure in areas identified.
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science – Majoring in Geology
- Minimum 2 years experience in mining geology associated with large open cut mines.
- Experience in large multi pit operations utilising large scale mining equipment.
- Able to clearly demonstrate the aptitude to drive a light vehicle and hold a current Zambian drivers licence or be able to obtain one.
- Good computer skills with the ability to use integrated management systems, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet applications. Able to exhibit proficiency in standard mining software ie Vulcan, Datamine or Micromine. Database applications ie AcQuire, Microsoft Access and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Hold a valid Zambian driver’s licence
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks .
‘Be Aware of Fraudsters’
Lumwana Mine does not solicit for payment of any funds towards the recruitment process.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.barrick.com .