Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years in
East and Southern Africa, Jhpiego has empowered front-line health workers by designing and implementing effective, low- cost, hands-on solutions that strengthen the delivery of health care services, following the household-to-hospital continuum of care. Jhpiego partners with organizations from the community to the national levels, building sustainable, local capacity through advocacy, policy development, human resources for health and quality and performance improvement approaches. For further information about Jhpiego, please visit our website at www.jhpiego.org.
Jhpiego invites applications for the following position:-
Human Resources Director
Supervises: HR Staff
Reports to: Country Director
The HR Director reports to the Country Director with functional reporting to the Global Human Resources Office in Jhpiego. The Human Resources Director leads and directs the HR operations for the Jhpiego Zambia country office and serves as the lead HR specialist and strategic business partner. The HRD provides leadership and guidance in HR matters to the Country Director and Senior Management Team. The position oversees all HR functions including recruitment, compensation and benefits, employee relations, organizational development, training and continuous performance management. The HRD takes the lead in developing organizational HR strategies and ensures that HR policies/procedures and standards are met and the country office is compliant with local labor laws, Jhpiego requirements, and international NGO community best practices. S/ he will lead and supervise the activities of the HR team, will work closely with HR team members, and will liaise with the Global Human Resources and Chief HR Administrative Officer as required.
- Oversee implementation of the country program Human Resources functions and operations ensuring compliance with local labour law (e.g. worker compensation, Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and Jhpiego and Johns Hopkins requirements;
- Lead the implementation of global HR strategies and initiatives and monitor their performance;
- Develop strategic HR initiatives that harness employees’ strengths and work towards the Jhpiego strategic plan;
- Lead the HR Team and coach and mentor them and develop their capacity to ensure they meet agreed upon standards and procedures;
- Develop effective HR Procedures and policies that reflect the organization’s philosophy and requirements and conduct continuous reviews of all Human Resources policies, programs, and practices to ensure continued compliance and keep management and staff informed of new developments and changes;
- Institute HR Best Practices amongst the HR Team, SMT and supervisors;
- Provide guidance, direction, advice, and counsel to the SMT and CD on HR matters, with a focus on reducing organizational risk;
- Liaise and consult with local legal counsel on HR issues in coordination with the CD;
- Develop and monitor spending of an annual budget that includes Human Resources services
- Identify gaps in country office policies or procedures that could expose the organization and make it vulnerable to legal action;
- In collaboration with the CD and SMT set the standards for a productive and high performing work environment;
- Lead efforts to institutionalize a culture of respect, including zero tolerance for sexual harassment in the workplace and ensure staff are trained, educated, sensitized on behaviors that are considered unacceptable.
Compensation and Benefits:
- With GHR, the SMT and HR team lead efforts to implement a compensation, recognition and reward strategy, including: salary benchmarking, pension arrangements, benefits management and annual compensation such as merit appraisals;
- In coordination with GHR Business Partner, regularly review salary scales national staff compensation packages to ensure salaries and benefits are competitive with the industry and market, and provide guidance to the CD and Chief Human Resource and Administrative Officer;
- Ensure job and salary grading is working effectively to ensure salaries are managed based on job content and that merit pay systems are fair and based on performance;
- Lead the design, implementation and administration of innovative and allowable, including non-monetary reward and recognition programs.
- Oversee the administration of all national employee benefits and leave allowances in line with local labour laws.
- Develop knowledge of Jhpiego expatriate and third country national compensation and benefits policies and practices administered by Baltimore, HQ
- Lead the development of standards and procedures for recruitment and selection, make recommendations for streamlining hiring processes and ensure transparency in all hiring decisions;
- Ensure recruiting and hiring practices are compliant with government regulations and organizational policies, and advise on optimal workforce hiring and placement, recommending hiring options including of new staff, short-term or temporary staff, consultancy, promotion, internal transfer, etc.;
- Counsel hiring managers on staffing and recruitment related matters, including legal considerations and coaching on interview techniques and best practices. Ensure that the HR recruitment team complies with safe recruitment practices and compliance inclusive of sentinel / reference /background checks.
- Lead in the evaluation and benchmarking of new jobs to place them appropriately in the organization’s salary scale;
New Hire Orientation and Employee Relations
- Lead and promote maintenance of employee–employer relationships that contribute to high productivity, motivation, and morale through regular communication of policies, procedures, and expectations.
- Seek staff input on enhancing morale in the workplace;
- Coordinate the on-boarding of staff and follow-up with new staff to ensure adaptation and identify problem areas; work closely with supervisors to support their staff;
- Consult and advise SMT on highly confidential and complex human resources and employee relations issues, including supporting supervisors to deal effectively with performance issues;
- Represent Jhpiego Zambia in fora related to HR management practices, policies, and processes to stay abreast of local labor regulations and industry best practices,
- Advise supervisors and the SMT on disciplinary and grievance issues, and mediate in staff conflict situations.
Employee Records Maintenance
- Administer Jhpiego’s Enterprise Management System (JEMS), and oversee that all employee information are entered/updated and maintained in iCMS, and relevant copies are maintained, while ensuring confidentiality at all times;
- Ensure job descriptions are up to date and responsibilities and performance expectations are clearly communicated;
- Ensure effective and efficient processing and authorization of timesheets/ leave by those responsible;
- Ensure completeness of personnel files as per Jhpiego, donor, and local labor law requirements;
- Ensure all HR Audit topics are covered and lead the closing of any HR Audit findings,
- Compile recruitment/ termination related info including staff changes, attrition, major findings from exit interviews, etc. and submit CD/CHRAO as appropriate;
New Program Development
- Provide HR inputs into new business development opportunities, including recruitment of executive and key personnel.
Other duties as necessary and as assigned.
- All staff irrespective of their position are expected to comply with and follow Jhpiego operational procedures and policies, codes of conduct, and model the mission and values stated above.
Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Competencies
- MBA in Human Resources Management or Administration, or related post-graduate qualification
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in HR and Administration Management with evidence of progressive career development with experience working at a Senior Level in HR.
- International NGO experience and knowledge of USG policies and procedures an advantage.
- Member of the Zambia Institute of Human Resource Management
- In depth knowledge of Zambia employment practices and labor law.
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to handle a variety of assignments sometimes under pressure of deadlines.
- Experience in managing teams and working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise independent judgment, be self-motivated and proactive.
- Hold values of high integrity and maintain a sense of confidentiality.
- Be willing to take on extra responsibilities in order to achieve the goals/objectives set by the organization.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in data management, analysis, and reporting and documentation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills that instill trust and confidence; able to use MS applications (Word, Excel, TEAMS etc).
- Share information to people that need to make decisions or avoid problems; keep people informed about all issues that may affect them;
- Communicates clearly, concisely and to the point; Keeps people informed on a timely basis of change, key events and decisions that may affect them
To apply, please send your application letter and curriculum vitae only in a single document, stating the position and location in the subject line to the Human Resources Manager: [email protected]
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Closing date is Friday September 17, 2021
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected] .