Jobs at:Healthy Learners
Deadline of this Job:
15 January 2022
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Healthy Learners is an award-winning non-profit organization committed to improving the health of children in Zambia and beyond. We partner directly with the government and local communities in Zambia so that school children can stay healthy, learn effectively and have a brighter future. This year, Healthy Learners was the inaugural winner of the 2021 Duke F.M. Kirby Prize for Scaling Social Impact and the UBS Optimus Foundation COVID-19 Relief Prize and has seen strong, steady growth in philanthropic support over time.
School-aged children in low resource settings suffer from a high burden of disease and lack access to even basic healthcare, which causes otherwise preventable and curable illnesses to frequently result in life-long health challenges or disability. In the short term, these illnesses contribute to school absenteeism, poor academic performance, and high drop-out rates. In the long term, they undermine physical, cognitive, and emotional development and hinder economic prosperity.
Healthy Learners is bridging this gap in Zambia through our unique model of school-based community health. By training teachers to be community health workers and making schools entry points into the public healthcare system, children now receive medical attention in substantially greater numbers, improving health outcomes and reducing absenteeism. We currently serve 250,000 students in Lusaka and, with our program now adopted by the government as a policy, we are working with the Zambian government to scale nationally.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
The Head Driver provides secure and timely driving services to transport passengers and/or goods. Schedule daily and periodic office errands support. Arranging regular cleaning and maintenance services for the vehicles, planning routes based on road and traffic conditions. Support all Healthy Learners activities ensuring efficiencies in terms of costs and time.
The head driver will equally support all vehicle technical and mechanical assessments for components and engines. S/he will diagnose problems with vehicles and perform maintenance and repair work when approved for in-house repairs
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Fleet Management and Maintenance
• Support execution of all scheduled transportation and distribution activities
• Support implementation of vehicle maintenance and repairs schedules
• Help to enforce drivers’ and passengers’ compliance with Healthy Learners policies and procedures; ensure adherence to vehicle use applicable laws and regulations.
• Record all data on vehicle use including fueling, mileage, servicing, insurance, etc., and their related costs; ensure all drivers correctly record and submit necessary data.
• Support the preparation of fuel analysis and consumption reports.
• Conduct routine vehicles inspections maintain a checklist of each vehicle’s accessories.
• Support fellow drivers to document and submit all vehicle incidents for processing and onward management.
• Prepare and maintain accurate records and effective reporting of all toll fees and traffic infringements.
• Track statutory vehicle license requirements and ensure legal compliance.
• Promptly report any accidents, injuries, and vehicle damage to the supervisor and/or management.
Driving and Logistical Support
• Support in coordinating drivers and day-to-day fleet activities.
• Transport organizational staff as well as various products and materials safely to and from specified locations on time.
• Assist with the loading and offloading of luggage, products, and materials.
• Adjust travel routes to avoid traffic congestion or road construction; guide other drivers on best routes to ensure effective and cost-efficient transportation management.
• Ensure that the organizational vehicles are always parked safely.
• Ensure organization vehicles are kept clean and properly maintained e.g. implement and oversee regular washing, cleaning, and vehicle maintenance.
Auto Mechanic Duties
• Evaluate fitness of vehicles to identify potential issues; prepare written descriptions of any mechanical problems and make recommendations of possible solutions where applicable.
• Conduct pre and on-site service tests on all vehicle parts and systems to ensure authenticity and compatibility.
• Conduct post-service/repairs checks and test all critical parts replacements after repairs.
• Performing basic automotive care, including changing the oil and rotating tires.
• Support the repair or replacement of worn-out, old or defective parts of the vehicle upon approval.
• Record and effectively track parts replacements and repairs
Specific Requirements Include
• Proven experience in scheduling and fleet management
• Comprehensive mechanical skills and knowledge of mechanical systems
• Experience working and communicating with customers or beneficiaries.
• Proficient in-vehicle faults diagnosis and troubleshooting skills
• Working knowledge of computerized diagnostic equipment.
• Proven experience as a Driver
• Familiarity with GPS devices and vehicle tracking software is an added advantage
• Knowledge of area roads and neighborhoods of Lusaka.
• Ability to lift heavy packages and luggage.
• Polite and professional disposition.
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to remain calm in stressful driving situations (e.g. at rush hour)
• High school certificate
• Diploma in auto mechanics from a reputable institution
• A valid class C driver’s license
• A clean driving record.
• Minimum five years experience as a professional driver and auto mechanic
• Prior NGO experience is an added advantage
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
Interested applicants should email their CV and 1 page cover letter applying by sending an email to [email protected] . Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
All application must be addressed to;
The Vice President of Administration and SCM.
Note: You can learn more about our work by visiting www.healthylearners.org