Position: Geology Technician
Lumwana Mine, Kalumbila, Zambia.
Reporting to: Supervisor – Mine Geology
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of a Geology Technician.
Reporting to the Supervisor – Mine Geology, you will be responsible for taking a representative sample on an RC rig or blast hole rig, pre-screening of samples with the portable XRF analyser, delineating of ore blocks and ore spotting in the pit. Your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Collection and management of a representative sample from the RC rig or blast holes as according to the sampling procedure.
- Ensure the drill rig staff is cleaning the sampling correctly and at all times
- Correctly label the sample bags in advance of drilling.
- Sieving and storage of the sample chips in correctly labelled chip trays.
- Complying with QA/QC sampling procedures i.e. duplicates, insertion of standard and blanks.
- Sample management and organisation in the sample lay down area (keeping samples organised in correct areas and rows etc etc).
- Check all samples correctly that has to be discarded, only after area has been mined and milled.
- Sample submission to the lab and completing of the sample submission form.
- Proper and safe use of Niton for analysis of samples, daily data downloads and recording of results.
- Collection of rocks for QA/QC blank materials.
- Ore mark ups are completed as per design and report areas of concern to Senior Geologist production.
- Ore spotting of shovel and excavators
Ensure GC rig ground preparation is completed ahead of requirements.
Experience & Qualifications
- Full Grade Twelve Certificate.
- Atleast 1year experience in open pit mining as a Geology Technician.
- Preferably some mining or exploration experience.
- Good computer skills with the ability to use integrated management systems, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to show initiative and have good interpersonal skills.
Must have a valid driver’s license.
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks .
To apply for this job please visit jobs.barrick.com .