At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Design, plan, monitor and report on all Drill & Blast activities to ensure productive and efficient mining operations.
- Produce accurate Drill & Blast designs in a timely manner, as defined by the 3 monthly and weekly plans.
- Under the direction of the Senior Drill Blast Engineer undertake Drill and Blast related project studies and investigations, monitoring, wall control blasting trials, electronic initiation designs, mine to mill analysis, and other related projects.
- Introduce innovative D&B Engineering techniques and products for continuous improvement.
- Be able to verify, analyse, and report blast performance data.
- Liaise with other departments on deliverables, inputs and stakeholder needs
- Compliance /Quality Control.
- Champion operational quality control. Ensure holes are drilled to engineering planned depth, location and inclination desired blast results.
- Prepare, monitor, update production data associated with drilling and blasting activities.
- Review Q/A data, digging rates and blast videos to determine areas of further improvement.
- Ensure Blast Masters Plans for the 3month forecast are produces in a timely manner.
- Review and analyse contractor shot reports identifying trends and inefficiencies.
- Consult and develop a close working relationship with the geotechnical Engineer in order to optimise pit wall stability.
- Develop a sense of continuous improvement, seek to streamline drill and blast process to increase productivity, quality and compliance.
- B.Sc. in Mining Engineering
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience open pit mining in a Drill and Blast capacity
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to working a team environment with many stakeholders
- Excellent Verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment
- Ability to lead a multi-cultural environment
- Medically Fit
- In Possession of a valid driver’s license
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: