PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
The global health sector is undergoing a digital transformation in its ongoing commitment to solve health challenges and increase health equity. Our work focuses on supporting countries in using data and digital tools and approaches to accelerate and amplify their health investments, achieve their health outcomes, and increase health impact. An important driver and component of that work is the digital transformation of global health itself. The Center of Digital and Data Excellence (CoDE) works with government ministries of health, the private sector, and donors to improve the use of digital technologies and data for improved health services.
Digital Square is one of CoDEs flagship global initiatives. It is led by PATH and funded by multiple donors, including USAID and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, to invest in and mature the field of global digital health. Conceived from the lessons of the inefficiencies and redundancies of prior investments in digital technologies for international development, Digital Square brings global and regional actors together to create a new way of thinking about, and a new way of doing development.
We are seeking an outstanding Engagement Officer to help efficiently implement Digital Square’s communications strategy. We are looking for a person who can directly manage technical team expectations while autonomously driving priorities, contributing to the achievement of Digital Square’s objectives and priorities. This person will join an amazing, multi-country team with a thriving, innovative culture that has the opportunity to realize an extraordinary impact. The Engagement Officer will report to Digital Square’s Senior Engagement Officer, working closely with a team of communications and advocacy staff spread across PATH offices.
- Develop and support the implementation of communications strategic plans and activities to support Digital Square’s programmatic goals, including increasing awareness, mobilizing resources, and shifting the policy landscape.
- Develop, maintain, and build strong relationships with PATH colleagues and initiative stakeholders, including the digital health global goods community; establish credibility as a domain-knowledgeable thought partner and leverage community to source content in-line with Initiative’s objectives and priorities.
- Develop, manage, and implement a portfolio of communications activities that align with Digital Square’s overall strategy and are operationally coordinated with Digital Square’s work stream areas. Contribute to the design of Digital Square’s overall communications strategy and identify and develop collaborations and activities to ensure long-term sustainability and impact.
- Work with technical teams to identify successes and translate into visually and narratively compelling communications materials for external audiences.
- Create and support publication of creative and compelling Digital Square communications and advocacy materials, including donor reporting, Board materials, strategic documents, fact sheets, web content, press releases, scientific publications, blogs, social media content, and policy briefing papers.
- Ensure that all media and external communications messages and activities are in-line with PATH and Digital Square’s communication policies; review content to ensure it is on-brand, consistent in style, quality, and tone of voice, and in compliance with branding, strategy, and marking plans and policies.
- Support collection, interpretation, and analysis of communications and advocacy metrics; use metrics to proactively inform prioritization of activities for self and team.
- Support and facilitate external events, panels, and webinars.
- Ensure engagement activities and events are following diversity, equity, and inclusion policies.
- Project-manage or collaborate on the production process and work with graphic designers on materials requiring professional design.
- Act as a PATH and Digital Square representative where needed, including delivering presentations about our work.
- Support implementation of a communications training plan for Digital Square team and partner organizations; strengthen the team’s ability to tell the Digital Square story visually and narratively.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field required. Experience managing scientific communications and familiarity with the product development process is preferred.
- A minimum of five years working in communications, and/or advocacy fields, with a strong track record of making highly technical content accessible to lay audiences while maintaining credibility with the technical community, is required.
- Two or more year’s experience in developing policy, advocacy, and communications strategies, with an emphasis on strategic communications.
- Two or more year’s experience developing multimedia and online communications, including webcasts, podcasts, social media, websites, wikis, knowledge management platforms, etc. preferred.
- Two or more year’s experience in developing, leading, and implementing creative external communications strategies and campaigns.
- Two or more years of experience using communications tools and working with partners to achieve advocacy goals and policy change at the global and/or country level.
- Experience creating and producing versatile communications and advocacy products for global, regional, and national audiences, including policymakers, implementers, governments, and funders. They will bring a depth of experience in developing policy, advocacy, and communications strategies.
- Experience facilitating externally-facing events – virtually and in-person.
- Strong interpersonal communication, presentation skills, and relationship-building skills demonstrating a client-cantered approach to opportunities.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and a demonstrated capacity to translate sophisticated health and development issues into compelling persuasive writing.
- Strong graphic design skills including document layout and producing social media graphics and PowerPoint slides strongly desired.
- Experience in leading the conception, design, and management of strategies, campaigns, initiatives, and programs in support of policy initiatives, advocacy programs, and events.
- Experience developing, running and implementing projects, including working with partners on the definition of objectives and deliverables and monitoring and evaluation of results.
- Ability to work with flexibility, entrepreneurship, and diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team effort.
- Enthusiasm for digital health.
- Experience in technology and /or global health-related communications is preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 15% time annually.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: