At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Purpose of the role:
The RWTS electrical technical advisor is responsible for the electrical maintenance of HVAC (heating ventilation and Air Conditioning Systems and mining ancillary equipment. He or she will lead a team of mostly local technicians to meet electrical maintenance key performance indicators (KPls).
Included in the list of KPls is:
- To minimize unplanned downtime. Target hours to first fault after service must be above 75 hours.
- To lead root cause analyses of failures and coordinate and track plans to prevent them thereafter.
- The target mean time between breakdowns must be above 150 hours.
- Lead operational safety of maintenance crews to achieve 0 LTis and 0 accidents.
- Report electrical safety incidents within 24hrs of occurrence.
- Optimize planned maintenance services to facilitate 0 delays on services.
- Organize and schedule planned jobs to accomplish a minimum of 70% employee utilization.
- Lead a team of technicians to attain KPls.
- Provide insightful technical and logistical support.
- Guide the Maintenance and repair organization with updated performance/execution information, KPls and management recommendations.
- Support the continuous improvement processes and initiatives and lead the defect elimination processes across the department.
- Ensure all maintenance tasks are carried out as per the OEM recommendations and/or management through the standard KML Change management procedure.
- Provide practical training and mentoring to subordinates, including ongoing training and development, performance management, conflict management and crisis management.
- Ensuring the right people are in the right job as well as putting in place a succession plan for all positions.
- Certificate/Diploma in Electrical/ Auto-Electrical Engineering with extensive field experience in the electrical maintenance of mobile HVAC systems and mining ancillary equipment.
Extensive hands-on experience with most of the following equipment:
Komatsu D375A/ 475A Dozers
Komatsu WD500/WD900-3 Wheel Dozers
Komatsu WA380/WA600 Wheel Loader
Caterpillar CA 777D Low bed
Volvo A40F ADT
Liebherr T284 Trucks
Letourneau LE2350 Loader
Liebherr 9100/9250 Excavator
Flexiroc D65 Drills
Experience in the following Equipment is an advantage:
- Komatsu 960E/860E/ HD1500 Dump Trucks
Komatsu HD785-7 Utility Trucks:
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in a maintenance role.
- Training/Experience in / Knowledge of 6-sigma, Lean, Kanban, Statistical Process Control, Kaizen, etc.is an added advantage
- Experience in using engineering management software Pronto.
- A qualification in project management is an advantage.
- At least 5 years in a specialist role.
- Experience in mining or other heavy industry.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be of sound mind.
- Must be responsible, focused and self – motivated.
- Ability to interact with people and work cohesively with them.
- Must physically be capable of using and moving equipment and tools.
- Must be able to work under minimal supervision and pressure.
- Good report writing and presentation skills.
- Fluent English speaker.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: