- Company: DAI
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
USAID SCALING UP NUTRITION TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (SUN TA)
DISTRICT ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE OFFICER –
Kaputa District – Northern Province
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments.
1. Project Background:
The Scaling Up Nutrition Program is a cross-ministry and multi-donor program to reduce stunting in Zambia through implementation of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) 1,000 Most Critical Days Program.
SUN TA will provide support and direct technical assistance to sub-national local government departments in target districts to plan, implement, coordinate, and monitor integrated nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific activities to reduce the rate of stunting among Zambian children under two and improve the nutritional status of pregnant and lactating mothers. USAID has identified two main objectives that address stunting, including (1) Adequate Quantity and Quality of Dietary Intake among Target Groups; and (2) Adequate Health Conditions for Biological Utilization of Nutrients. SUN TA interventions will increase access and availability of safe, diverse, nutritious food; adoption of better child feeding and household hygiene practices; and access to improved health, water and sanitation services. The project will prioritize sustainability by improving intra-household joint decision making and building the capacity of local government and their stakeholders to ensure coordination, accountability, and learning, following the Scaling Up Nutrition model.
Northern Province: The District Administration and Finance Officer will be based in Kaputa District.
The District Administration and Finance Officer is responsible for the financial, clerical, and administrative tasks in the District office. S/he will handle petty cash disbursements, advances, and maintain accurate records of payments and replenishments. S/he will also aid the project team to maintain smooth day-to-day office functions and coordinate the logistics of the office vehicle use.
4. Tasks and Responsibilities:
General Accounting Support
- Prepare inputs for the weekly cash-flow forecasts for approval and fund replenishment wire requests
- Handle petty cash disbursements and reporting, ensuring petty cash is maintained per maximum petty cash policy, and that all petty cash procedures are followed
- Ensure that requests for payment have appropriate approvals
- Prepare field expense vouchers ensuring accuracy of expense coding
- Perform any approved accounting corrections and reversals
- Ensure the timely deposit of cash receipts
- Act as a bank agent securing petty cash replenishments and other cash needs as instructed
- Prepare backup documentation for all project-related transactions, and ensure completeness and appropriate review and approvals are documented
- Audit travel requests and expense reports for accuracy and compliance and follow procedures to ensure accurate and timely payment and reconciliation of travel advances, reimbursements for staff and partner travel
Financial Administration Support
- Maintain hard copy file management system and use DAI’s operations system (TAMIS) and Oracle to complete some finance functions as required
- Scan and upload voucher files to DAI’s repository for the electronic archival of financial documentation
- Perform regular spot audits of project files
- Assist the Lusaka-based Finance Manager with reviews of backup documentation using the finance checklists to ensure completeness, accuracy, and full compliance with DAI policies and procedures
- Assist in preparation of information inputs for any financial reporting requirements, or internal reports as necessary
- Handle routine administrative tasks, to include calls, mail, and electronic communications and routing messages and information to appropriate individuals.
- Coordinate logistical support and assist with project staff travel, such as hotel booking, and car arrangement.
- Support office in distribution of invitations, letters, meeting minutes and other printed material as needed.
- Support office with printing, copying, and binding materials.
- Ensure that project staff needs for office equipment, supplies, and furniture are met.
- Ensure project staff administrative needs are met and office guests are greeted graciously.
- Maintain office inventory trackers and coordinate equipment maintenance with the relevant departments
5. Reporting and Supervision:
- The District Administration and Finance Officer directly reports to the District Manager and coordinates closely with the Lusaka-based Finance team. The District Administration and Finance Officer will supervise the District Driver.
- Graduate level of ZICA membership (minimum of Licentiate member of ZICA) or ACCA part qualified
- Minimum 2 years’ experience supporting USAID-funded projects in an accountancy/finance role preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of applicable finance-related USG or other international donors contracting regulations
- Accuracy in working with large amounts of data
- Ability to respond effectively to time sensitive inquiries
- An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and professional presentation
- A well organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgement, and strong operational focus
- Fluency in English is required