Lumwana Mine, Solwezi, Zambia.
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Coordinator – Safety Operations.
Rporting to the Superintendent – Safety Operations , your duties will include but not limited to the following;
- Assist the Superintendent with the coordination and implementation of LMC’s Occupational Health & Safety management system to a standard that is compatible with international practice and undertaken in a timely and cost-effective way.
- Provision of advice, support and coaching to contractors and employees alike in relation to management of health and safety risks.
- Conduct workplace safety audits and inspections across focused on-site contractor controls.
- Administer safety related documentation and records for all major contractors on site.
- Coordinate and report on site incident trends, audit reports and corrective action undertaken.
- Facilitate and participate in incident investigations, risk assessments and any other safety forums.
- Accountable for completion of all tasks identified in the Occupational Health & Safety improvement plan to the specified quality and timelines as assigned to this role
- Proactively identify issues as they arise and identify solutions.
- Develop, implement, and maintain safe work procedures and promote high safety and health awareness.
- Promote and comply with the LMC Occupational Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensure appropriate facilities, procedures, and workforce competence to achieve legal compliance, incident prevention and the achievement of tasks in an environmentally sustainable manner.
- Ensure the development and maintenance of up-to-date procedures for all tasks performed within the team.
- Ensure effective communication with delegate prior to departure from site.
Experience & Qualifications
- Full Grade 12 Certificate,
- Degree/Diploma in Engineering / Occupational Health and Safety related field from recognized institution,
- A minimum of 8 years post qualification experience with at least 4 years in a mining or industrial environment and at least 4 years in a senior health and safety role,
- ISO45001:2018 OHSMS lead implementers or Lead auditor’s qualification,
- Working knowledge in incident investigation process such as ICAM/TAPROOT/FISHBORNE,
- NEBOSH Occupational Health & Safety Diploma/Certificate an added advantage,
- Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination and annual screening,
- Able to clearly demonstrate the aptitude to drive a light vehicle and hold a current Zambian driver’s licence,
- Demonstrated success as an effective leader.
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
If you meet the requirements, submit your online application by clicking ‘APPLY NOW’.
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks .
To apply for this job please visit jobs.barrick.com .