A large Commercial Cattle Farming Business in Southern Province, Zambia, seeks to employ the services of an enthusiastic & progressive manager for their business to hands-on manage, oversee, co-ordinate the Ranch cattle and Feedlot operations.
· Must have a Tertiary qualification in Agriculture; Animal husbandry and/or similar farming management qualification.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
· The ideal candidate would have sound knowledge of Breeding Cattle (large breeding herd). Any experience with Stud Bonsmara cattle will be an advantage.
· Feedlot Experience (above 1500 cattle in feed).
· Administrative, financial and project or operational management experience.
· Extensive farming experience; Minimum ten years’ cattle farming experience .
· Additional experience/knowledge/qualification in cropping will be advantageous.
· Minimum five years of managerial/leadership experience leading a team of > 50 people.
· Strong MS Office knowledge. Computer skills & the ability to maintain computer records of the herd are essential. Experienced with Cattle management programs will be advantageous.
· A Valid recognised driver’s licence and able to drive a motorbike.
· Proactive and resilient individual with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
· Physically Strong and Healthy individual whose health and character are able to peruse a farming career in the long, very hot and demanding outdoors.
· Strong people and leadership skills.
· Understanding of working together as a team to achieve the organizations overall best interests.
· Highly organised, detail orientated multitasker with strong organisational and administrative skills.
· Strong communication skills and command of spoken and written English
· Preferred age between 35 – 45 years.
Candidate to Manage the following activities on the ranch .
· Ordering of inputs
· Labour – allocation of work & manage up to 100 staff.
· Allocation of feed rations, feed distribution & recording of stocks.
· All cattle activities including medical treatments, weighing, branding, tagging etc
· Maintain good records on a computerized recording program.
· Irrigated pasture management & ranch grazing systems
· Farm mapping monitor grazing availability.
· Maintain & improve water reticulation systems.
· Guide a team building new fences as well as R & M on existing fences.
· Maintain & improve on the existing handling facilities.
· Attend weekly management meetings
· Produce monthly reports
· Flexible to assist in other departments
· A hands-on, out there on the ranch approach to accomplishing the above tasks
· You will be expected to cooperate with fellow managers in the different sections of the company & be part of a strong management team to promote the whole business, covering & standing in for fellow managers should the need arise.
Candidate to Manage & lead staff in the following activities on the ranch
· Leadership of the cattle and feedlot operations team, ensuring training, mentoring and resourcing occurs with a focus on strengthening capacity to effectively achieve operational targets.
· Oversee the induction of new staff, monitor employee performance and conduct Performance Appraisals.
· Assessing the current staffing levels, selecting appropriate staffing to ensure balance between best farm productivity output and staffing cost input, namely not over staffed.
· Lead regular operational meetings.
· Record keeping of hours, overtime, annual leave, sick leave etc.
Candidate to Manage & Improve general Operational activities on the ranch; including but not limited to as below
· Improve operational systems, processes, and policies in support of the section’s objectives.
· Maintain high standards throughout the operation.
· Ensure all regular & routine activities including medical treatments, dipping, weighing, branding, tagging, fencing etc are diligently completed, always at a standard of excellence.
· Maintain facilities in excellent working order.
· Must be able to account for Stock counts and shortages both in livestock and consumables.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com .