At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
To install and maintain planned and unplanned plant equipment. The incumbent will perform maintenance activities in a safe and effective manner with the aim of delivering results that meet quality standards and company expectations.
Specific Job Responsibility
The specific tasks to be performed by the position holder will include;
- Study blueprints to determine locations, relationships, or dimensions of parts.
- Straighten or reshape bent vessel plates or structural parts, using hammers, jacks, or torches.
- Inspect assembled vessels or individual components such as Tubes, Fittings, Valves, Controls, or auxiliary mechanisms to locate any defects.
- Structural repairs and alterations.
- Inspections of components to determine reliability.
- Assist in maintaining the availability of the fleet through effective preventative maintenance procedures.
- Take reasonable precautions as stipulated to minimize hazards to other personnel and equipment during the course of the work
- Provide feedback to the management on issues identified, progress of jobs and planned work.
- General fabrication
- Full welding skills-vertical up, horizontal (stick welding)
- Use oxy and Acetylene cutting torches.
- Able to read and work from schematic drawings and on site variations.
- Perform any other duties as directed by the Supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies
- Have a sound knowledge of metal types.
- Have a sound knowledge of welding processes and electrodes and welding wire.
- Have a sound knowledge of how to handle equipment and materials.
- Able to interrupt complex Fabrication drawings
- Experience with heavy fabrication
- Fixed and Mobile plant experience
- Pipe fitting and fabrication
- Pressure welding skill
- The welding of aluminium and cast iron
- Oxy lancing
- Air arc gouging
- Welding with gas and gasless welding wires
- Silver soldering and Brazing
- Experience with Bucket repairs, hard facing and rebuilding
- Experience with Truck tray relining .
Key Job Attributes
- Able to handle work with a great sense of professionalism
- Possesses good organizational skills
- Good oriented person
- Maintain a professional approach to duties and responsibilities with the capability of making timely, rational decisions and an ability to meet deadlines.
- Act with honesty and integrity in all areas: maintain confidentiality in dealings with subordinates, clients and customers.
- Demonstrate accuracy, time management and organizational skills.
- Maintain a professional work ethic through effective, honest communication with supervisors, peers, and subordinates.
- Commitment to reach or exceed maintenance, operational and safety goals.
- Work effectively in a team environment, supporting other team members when needed.
- The ability and drive to manage maintenance work group in a technically challenging and geographically remote maintenance environment.
- Sound planning, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in English.
- Knowledge and understanding of diverse third world cultures and customs an advantage.
Experience required to perform in this job
- Relevant trade/skill or role required experience
- Hold relevant artisan certification in fabrication/welding
- At least 3 years in mining or heavy industry
- Where appropriate, computer reiterate and hold valid driver’s license.
- Must have a Grade 12 Certificate
- Crafts certificate in Metal Fabrication
- Must be a member of EIZ
To apply for this job please visit firstquantum.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com .