- Work Location: Zambia
- Application Close Date: March 30, 2021
- Estimated Start date: April 12, 2021
- Department: Field Programs
- Reports to: Associate Project Manager, Zambia
- Travel: Up to 80% travel between field locations in Zambia
- Contract Terms: Independent contractor, hourly with variable hours. Six month initial contract with opportunity for extension.
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 280,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need.
HOT works closely with humanitarian and development partners including the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, World Bank, and UN OCHA, among others. In 2020, HOT was awarded funding from The Audacious Project. Over the next five years, this funding will enable HOT to scale up its support to local mapping communities with the aim of mapping an area home to one billion people, adding places at high risk of natural disaster or experiencing poverty.
About the Role
The Senior Mapping Supervisor will support the Project Manager for HOT on an upcoming project in Zambia. The project aims to provide support to the sub-national and national government in Zambia in understanding public access to government services, particularly in rural areas. This project will use an open and collaborative approach to geospatial data collection, ensuring the participation of local governments, community-based organizations and community stakeholders.
Serving as a local representative of HOT on the project, reporting to HOT’s Associate Project Manager – Zambia, you will have wide and varied responsibilities. These range from assisting the Associate Project Manager in the set up of HOT’s presence in project locations to assisting in the development of mapping methodology, developing and implementing training materials, day-to-day management of field activities in-country, and support with administrative (financial), operational, and security procedures in the project locations.
As part of her/his duties, the Contractor is expected to fulfill the following list of responsibilities:
- Serve as one of HOT’s representatives in Zambia.
- Supported by the Associate Project Manager, execute the Scope of Work as laid out in the terms of reference for the project.
- Assist in the organization, and facilitation of training sessions and workshops to project stakeholders.
- Oversee and participate in the remote and field mapping operations in multiple provinces of Zambia.
- Assist in management and recruitment of local field data collection staff.
- Assist in the oversight of project finances and logistics with support from the Associate Project Manager and HOT Global staff.
- Assist in setting up the mapping process, including data review and providing a motivating and rewarding mapping experience for participants and stakeholders.
- Participate in communications (such as blog posts and social media) on project progress and impact.
- Provide input for documentation and reporting as requested and necessary.
- Actively promote the open data and OpenStreetMap community in Zambia, organizing events, mapathons, supporting students and universities in setting up YouthMappers clubs, and supporting a community of practice.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience
- Based within the region, able to travel and authorized to work in Zambia
- Bachelor’s degree in geography or related field.
- At least 1 year of work experience in GIS and spatial analysis.
- Proficient at using OpenStreetMap tools, such as OSM Tracker, ODK Collect, Open Map Kit, Field Papers, OSMAnd and JOSM.
- Experience using open source GIS tools, especially QGIS.
- At least 2 years of experience using OpenStreetMap with 1 year of validation experience.
- Proficient at using OpenStreetMap tools, such as HOT Export Tools, Tasking Manager, Overpass Turbo, etc.
- Ability to make an ODK Collect form for field survey.
- Ability to make presets for JOSM.
- Field survey experience.
- Ability to train people using OpenStreetMap and to motivate their continued contributions to OSM.
- Able to work under deadline pressure.
- Fluent in English both written and spoken.
- Knowledge of at least 1 additional local language
- Able to work in a team.
- Able to operate Google tools, such as Google Drive, Google Docs; and Microsoft Office.
Are you missing a few of the technical skills listed? We would still like to see your application. While the skills above fit our vision of this role, we are open to those candidates with a strong knowledge foundation that are fast learners and highly motivated to close any skill gaps.
HOT is committed to diversity and inclusion within our team, and recognizes our role in closing the digital divide, including identifying obstacles that certain groups face in developing skills needed for roles in the humanitarian & technology sectors. Women, nationals of developing countries, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOT values transparency and equity. All HOT compensation globally is set according to a framework detailed on our website.
We seek to recruit persons that reflect the diversity of the communities we work with and further, to support their retention and advancement within the organization. HOT does not discriminate on the basis of ability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation. Our staff includes people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives on the world. HOT is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to live our values and promote inclusivity in all locations. All of our staff work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of all is valued and respected.
Please complete the application by March 30, 2021. Your CV/resume should not exceed 2 pages.
To apply for this job please visit hotosm.bamboohr.com .