Quality Control Engineer
Jobs at:First Quantum
Deadline of this Job:
06 August 2021
Within Zambia , Kalumbila, South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Quality Control Engineer
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Purpose of the role:
To ensure compliance with OEM standards on all components under repair. This key objective will be to be present on site to inspect and ensure that the rebuild/repair company follow OEM recommendations when working on Mobile components. The candidate will also monitor the reliability of both the components repaired/rebuilt and the company executing the repairs/rebuild. The QC engineer is also responsible for the management and tracking of all warranties within the Mobile maintenance department.
This role is to ensure that the workmanship and delivery periods are compliant to the maintenance strategy and operational requirements by ensuring planning process on the components projections are managed well in advance. Ensure all repairs of components are aligned with departmental strategy on each and every component to achieve performance KPIs set per the component. The QC Engineer will approve all incoming components by confirming compliance to specifications by conducting visual and measurement tests, and rejecting/returning unacceptable materials. All the findings will be communicated to the Component Rebuild management (At the rebuild facility) to ensure required adjustments are done to ensure conformance to the specifications. He will be the final approver of all finished products before leaving the rebuild facilities and factory Inspections and Test Plans (ITP).
The service will also ensure that all equipment overhauls/PCRs being conducted are executed to the required standard so that equipment reliability is maintained after overhaul. This requires the regular monitoring of the quality of the workmanship during the overhauls and, post overhaul performance monitoring in conjunction with the Mobile Maintenance Reliability team. The QC Engineer will oversee all Rotables stocking levels, submit weekly reports, flag and escalate any business risks to senior management. The QC Engineer will be responsible for the all Rotables management and retirement strategies
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The specific tasks to be performed by the position holder will include;
• Provide tactical and logistical support to the entire organization, track and support the mine production plans to balance the maintenance activities within the Reliability/Availability goals.
• Guide the Maintenance and Repair organization with updated performance/execution information, KPIs and management recommendations.
• Produce Weekly, Monthly and yearly plans as required by the Planning Coordinator. Provide input into the budgeting process for Capital and Operating Budgets and manage long terms forecasts and ensure they are updated and re-issued monthly.
• Supports the continuous improvement processes and initiatives and positively participate in the defect elimination processes across the department based on component performance
• Approve incoming materials by confirming specifications, conducting a visual and measurement test, and rejecting and returning unacceptable materials
• Approve in-process production by confirming required specifications, conducting visual and measurement tests, and communicating the required adjustments to the production supervisor
• Manage all work methods and maintain knowledge on all quality assurance standards and monitor continuous application for all quality assurance processes and recommend corrective actions for all processes.
• Document and update inspection results by completing reports and logs
• Keep measurement equipment operating by following operating instructions and calling for repairs.
• Maintain safe work environment by following standards and procedures and complying with legal regulations
• Coach and mentor junior employees; seek opportunities to grow leadership in others
• Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading technical publications, attending seminars, watching industry videos, etc.
• Accomplish organization mission by completing related results as needed
Qualifications & Experience
• Grade 12 certificate
• University Degree in Mechanical / Electrical Engineering
• Must be computer literate i.e., MS Word, Excel, Outlook and have a good understanding of database management.
• OEM experience in warranty management an advantage.
• Minimum of 12 years’ experience in a Fixed/Mobile mining equipment maintenance environment.
• Minimum of 5 years’ supervisor experience in a mobile mining equipment maintenance environment.
• Valid and proven experience in Project management and execution with particular focus on QA/QC role with Certifications in Quality Assurance.
Job Specific Competencies
• Experience in component overhaul.
• Experience in failure analysis and advanced fault finding/diagnostics.
• Ability to handle warranty repairs.
• Understanding of ISO Standard in order to validate vendor qualifications.
• Exposure to Reliability Engineering methodologies would be an advantage. I.e. RCM, FMECA, RCA.
• Supervise effective implementation of all test and inspection schedule and ensure adherence to all procedures and coordinate with various teams to perform quality audits on processes.
Key Job Attributes
• Able to handle work with a great sense of professionalism
• Maintain a professional approach to duties and responsibilities with the capability of making timely, rational decisions and an ability to meet deadlines.
• Act with honesty and integrity in all areas: maintain confidentiality in dealings with subordinates, clients and customers.
• Demonstrate accuracy, time management and organizational skills.
• Maintain a professional work ethic through effective, honest communication with supervisors, peers, and subordinates.
• Maintain detailed records of the testing that’s been carried out, as well as relevant additional information, and various metrics such as the number of defective components from each rebuild.
• Commitment to reach or exceed maintenance, operational and safety goals.
• Work effectively in a team environment, supporting other team members when needed.
• The ability and drive to manage maintenance work group in a technically challenging and geographically remote maintenance environment.
• Sound planning, analytical, and problem solving skills-quality control inspectors spend long periods of time standing and may be required to lift heavy objects, so applicants for this role should be physically fit
• Well-developed interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in English.
• Knowledge and understanding of diverse third world cultures and customs an advantage.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 144
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at c areers.first-quantum.com
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.