Hours: 30 hours per week (Monday – Friday, 8am – 4pm)
Location: National Award Authority (NAA)
Reports To: National Director
Summary and Main Purpose
- The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award – Zambia is a member of the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award for young people that make a difference to young people’s lives.
- Thousands of young people per year from many diverse background take part in the programme to broaden their horizons, develop their leadership skills, learn to work with others, volunteer in their local communities, increase their employability, and prove to themselves they can succeed at a serious challenge.
- This is an exciting time to be working for the Award programme.
- The programme is undergoing significant change and restructuring in many areas, including the way we deliver the programme to the varied young people we work with through the delivery of the DofE Zambia three year strategic plan.
- You will play the lead role in safeguarding the Award programme and supporting young people doing their Award programmes; having an excellent understanding of current youth issues and policies impacting upon young people today and in-depth knowledge of the values and standards which inform professional youth work and safeguarding practice.
- As the Programme Development Manager, you will be responsible for the development of the award in Zambia encompassing the areas of: Developing Partnerships; Extending the Reach of the Award programme to diverse group of young people and Quality Assurance. You will work closely with the National Director as well as manage the Programme Development Department of the Award Scheme in Zambia to ensure coordination of activity, policy and delivery of strategies.
- The role has overall responsibility for the key areas of:
- Work closely with the National Director to set and meet the National Award Authority’s annual objectives with particular regard to the Developing Partnerships, QA and Extending the Award pathways.
- Design, develop and implement the capacity building and training, particularly in the developing and facilitating of best practice in Zambia and to develop national and regional training teams and plans.
- Actively contribute to Award Management, Leadership training and development activity within the country
- Maintain, develop effective and productive relationships with key delivery partner organisations.
- Proactively provide operational advice and holistic care support for the development for Licensed Operating Award Units leading to a national programme
- Manage the Licensing framework of the Award programme in Zambia.
- Proactively develop and support the development of the Zambia Award Holders Alumni Network
- Support and identify potential fundraising opportunities for expansion of the Award programme across Zambia
Key Accountabilities (KA):
- KA 1 To contribute to the setting and meeting of annual objectives, with particular regard to the Developing Partnerships, Fundraising initiatives, Quality Assurance and Extending the Award pathways.
- KA 2 To motivate, encourage and further develop the Award Programme in Zambia through designing and conducting appropriate training.
- KA 3 To research, develop and manage the training and development strategy for Zambia and its associated budget, in close liaison with the National Director and the other teams.
- KA 4 To champion and ensure the application of Award delivery best practice across Zambia including the coordination and implementation of pilot projects or special initiatives.
- KA 5 To provide operational advice and holistic care to Licensed Award Units and emerging Units through visits and regular contact.
- KA 6 To contribute to the Award management and leadership development in Zambia.
- KA 7 To establish productive links with youth networks such as National Youth Development Council.
- KA 8 To provide leadership, support and work with the youth representatives for meaningful participation in the governance and planning process.
- KA 9 To develop new operational, promotional and training materials as required
- KA 10 To produce reports for the National Award Authority and for the International Award as required and assist the National Director in preparing concept papers, proposals and reports on regional/global youth development issues for the Board Chairman and for governance meetings.
- KA 11 To contribute and participate in any National Award Authority and other National meetings as required.
- KA 12 To promote the Award and the work of the Foundation at every opportunity, including to external and internal bodies and partners
- KA 13 To ensure quality assurance and delivery of the Award Programme across the Country.
- KA 14 To perform any other task which may be assigned by the National Director
- A secondary education (full Grade 12 certificate). Certification in Development Studies or a Bachelor’s Degree in Development Studies, Youth Development or related field would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Having taken part in various capacities with the Award programme is an advantage.
- Demonstrated success developing and evaluating programme models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programmes
- String project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and programme growth
- At least three (2) years of progressively responsible youth development experience is required at the local, national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and proficiency in all MS Office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Must be fluent in English. Knowledge of other official languages of Zambia will be desirable.
- Female candidates and persons living with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Important applicant information:
This post is subject to local recruitment.
Note: DofE Zambia reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with DofE Zambia at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Zambia does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Method of Application
To apply for this job email your details to the email: