Power, Water, Internet (PWI) Global Strategy and Operations Lead
Jobs at:Heifer International
Deadline of this Job:
17 September 2021
Within Zambia , Zambia , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
About Heifer International
In 1944, Heifer International’s founder, Dan West, began outlining a simple but groundbreaking plan to tackle hunger around the world. West, a farmer from the Midwest and Church of the Brethren member had recently returned from feeding weary refugees during volunteer service in the Spanish Civil War.
He had seen firsthand that giving people food was a short-term solution, whereas providing them with animals offered a steady supply of nutritious food for an entire family.
His philosophy still inspires Heifer’s work today. Partnering with farmers across a range of different livestock and crops, we create unique solutions to local challenges.
Today, Heifer International has operations in 21 countries around the world, working alongside local farmers, business owners and their communities, as they mobilize and envision their futures. Together, we build inclusive, resilient economies, so communities can develop effective ways to end global hunger and poverty in a sustainable way.
To date, we have supported more than 36 million farming families across Africa, Asia and the Americas and in the past five years alone, we have worked alongside 2.7 million families to close the living income gap or set them on a path to doing so. Between now and 2030, we will support an additional 10 million people to reach a living income by scaling up our signature programs. To achieve this, Heifer International relies on its passionate, committed and highly skilled staff.
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer, the Power, Water, Internet (PWI) Global Strategy and Operations Lead is responsible for the design and implementation of robust Power, Water and Internet interventions that accelerate Heifer’s Signature Programs worldwide. At the CEO’s direction, the PWI Lead will work in close collaboration with programs teams and other partners to accelerate vulnerable households to reaching a living income – through effective implementation and targeted revenue strategies.
We are looking for candidates who can work remotely within the U.S. and/or globally at any of Heifer’s field offices including Asia (India, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Nepal), Africa (Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe) and Americas (Mexico, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua)
The Successful Candidate
To succeed in this role, you will have a track record in managing initiatives that span the globe, and an expert in providing common good utilities to the rural, most vulnerable populations with appropriate power, water and/or internet technologies. She/he will have a passion for moving the most vulnerable households out of poverty through collaboration with field-based programs staff, technical experts from the industry and funders and financiers. The candidate will also be self-motivated and enjoy identifying and cultivating donors and partners alike that have the same philosophy to development as Heifer – farmers first.
• Work in collaboration with the Area Senior Vice Presidents and their respective Programs teams to identify countries for the PWI Initiative, assess and design interventions, and collaborate in implementation.
• Partner with the Proposal Design Hub to design appropriate PWI interventions with clearly articulated cost-benefit analysis and acceleration ratios.
• Partner with programs teams to ensure annual work plans for each PWI Initiative country are completed and monitoring reports are completed against the deliverables on a scheduled basis.
• Work with programs teams to provide donor reporting requirements and analysis as needed.
• Ensure annual PWI funding requirements per country are managed within expectations and there is an intentional revenue strategy and target for each PWI Initiative country.
• Complete an annual PWI Revenue Strategy that incorporates both funding and financing options for PWI interventions and/or infrastructure that is in partnership with or integrates with global fundraising leads and with Heifer’s broader revenue strategy; including options from multi-lateral and bi-lateral institutions, foundations, corporations, impact investors, high net worth individuals, and/or access to financing options. Report against the fundraising targets.
• Supervise the Global PWI Technical Advisor to ensure that the most appropriate power, water and internet technologies are benchmarked and assessed, and the most appropriate partners are identified for design and implementation.
• Ensure smooth PWI intervention implementation, reporting, learning and adaptation, as well as funding levels are maintained.
• Work cross-departmentally for smooth PWI Initiative operations with finance, human resources, programs, monitoring and evaluation, design hub, funding and financing leads.
• Present to both internal and external audiences the PWI Initiative impacts and strategic plans.
• Present to external audiences to raise Organizational profile and increase revenue generation potential.
• A Master’s degree in agricultural economics and/or applicable field of study. A PHD is a plus.
• A minimum of 20 years of experience in International Development programming for the most vulnerable populations including the design, implementation and revenue generation for such programming.
• Understanding appropriate technologies for rural farmers in power, water and/or internet.
• Experience in cost benefit analysis for development programming interventions on the income of farmers.
• Must possess a network of appropriate industry experts to leverage for design and implementation success.
• Must have experience working with local governments and civil society organizations interacting with the most vulnerable rural populations in regard to common goods services.
• Must have experience with collaborating in teams to develop revenue strategies to leverage funding from both funders and financing actors which may include multi-lateral and bi-lateral institutions, foundations, corporations, impact investors and high net worth individuals.
• Collaborative, team-oriented mindset with strong verbal and written communication skills. English language fluency is required. Spanish is a plus.
• Self-motivated, agile, and detail-oriented leader with exceptional organizational, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 240
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Please click here to apply.