Policy & Advocacy Officer
Jobs at:Kids Alive Zambia
Deadline of this Job:
31 December 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Kids Alive ( www.kidsalive.org ) is a Christ-centered organization that believes every child deserves to live free from the bondage of hunger, abuse, and exploitation. Our commitment to this Biblical truth compels us to rescue orphans and vulnerable children, and meet their spiritual, physical, educational, and emotional needs, with compassion and excellence.
We are seeking potential qualified, dedicated and compassionate candidate ready to join our growing team in Lusaka who will work with Kids Alive Zambia to meet its objectives. The successful candidate must have the qualification, experience, knowledge, competencies and skills to create the impact required.
Policy & Advocacy Officer
Purpose of the Position
The Policy & Advocacy Officer will be responsible for shaping the organizations’ response to emerging policy trends in the country and at global level. While working with a variety of stakeholders, play a key role in maximizing the opportunities for external engagement, thereby furthering the cause to address the issues affecting the vulnerable in society.
As a policy and advocacy professional with solid policy analysis, development, and project management experience, lead and provide specialist support in developing the distinctive voice of our lobbying, campaigns for justice and build strong synergies among and between stakeholders.
The Policy & Advocacy Officer is expected to work closely with the project management team and partners to support the implementation of the project and the production of deliverables according to the planned timelines. S/he is accountable for supporting specific research and content development analysis, tracking policy developments relevant to the KAZ strategic objectives and execution.
A) Policy development, implementation and management
i) Provide technical support in the development of policy programs/initiatives in line with national priorities that boarder on KAZ strategic goals for transformative change.
ii) Build or draw upon existing networking contacts and develop new ones across the sector and within Parliament, local government and other policy networks;
iii) Study, Interpret and analyze public policy, parliamentary processes and to produce meaningful information that will inform key decisions to be made by KAZ.
B) Advocacy implementation and dissemination
i) Identify initiatives and advocate for the empowerment and skills building for incarcerated mothers and vulnerable children.
ii) Provide programmatic support and technical advice to project teams and field staff in responding to advocacy initiatives and opportunities that include understanding and applying of the country’s constitution and legislative processes;
iii) Engage with local partners to build and cultivate strategic partnerships to leverage advocacy opportunities with government leadership, Ministries, other implementing partners.
iv) Develop a KAZ advocacy strategy and disseminate for operationalization;
v) Develop an advocacy plan and create advocacy tools supporting the strategic policy objectives;
vi) Build links and negotiate with like-minded organizations and government institutions.
C) Monitoring and reporting
i) Working together with the Planning, Evaluation and Learning Manager conduct situational analyses and strategic reviews that will inform the stakeholder and partner engagement opportunities;
ii) Lead in the assessments, tracking and reporting of progress against strategic goals relating to policy and governance program implementation and action plans including quality assurance and capacity building;
iii) Monitor and track all government legal framework policies and advocacy activities in liaison with the relevant staff;
iv) Generate relevant reports monthly, quarterly, and annually;
v) Ensure documentation and filing.
Skills, Knowledge and Competencies
• Creative and out of the box thinker, with demonstrated track record of analytic problem?solving/seeking solutions to challenges.
• Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, plan and implement strategic initiatives within the context of childcare framework and adult safeguarding.
• Extensive experience in awareness campaigns, field research and evidence dissemination.
• Extensive knowledge of Government procedures, policies, International treaties, conventions and agreements on children that Zambia is party to.
• Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
• Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment;
• Have a great capacity for organization, synthesis and report writing;
• Strong written and verbal communications skills;
• Good analytical and influencing skills;
• Ability to communicate with a range of internal and external stakeholders;
• Strong verbal and written reporting skills;
• Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams;
• NGO operational understanding and exposure;
• Ability to foster positive working relationships with diverse organizations;
• Computer Literacy: Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Law, Public Policy development, Project management, development studies or any related social science
• Must have minimum 5 years of experience at management level in a similar role influencing policy at national, regional, and global levels securing political commitments that support vulnerable children and women.
• Considerable experience in law and policy development.
• Proven experience in project management in the policy and law field.
• Demonstrated experience in undertaking desk-based research, summarizing complex information and producing advocacy materials
• Adequate experience supporting successful relationship-building/awareness?raising initiatives with internal and external stakeholders
• Experience engaging with members of governments, and other government sectors or NGOs, and/or multilateral organizations.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Candidates that fulfill the above selection criteria should send their application letter, CV of not more than 5 pages, copies of certificates by emailing to [email protected] , with a clearly marked position.
All email applications must be submitted by 31st December 2021 at 17:00hrs. Kindly Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, includes rigorous background checks, which reflects our commitment to the protection of children from all forms of abuse.
Kids Alive Zambia is a legitimate employer, should you be asked for a fee during any stage of the application and/or recruitment process report to the relevant authorities or Kids Alive Zambia. If you are asked for money do not proceed with the process.