COMMON MARKET FOR EASTERN AND SOUTHERN AFRICA (COMESA) SECRETARIAT
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR THE POST OF MIGRATION STATISTICAL OFFICER AT THE COMESA SECRETARIAT.
The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) is a regional grouping of 21 African States which have agreed to promote regional integration through trade development and transport facilitation. More information can be obtained from the COMESA website www.comesa.int.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced professionals for the post of Migration Statistical Officer .
The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa recently signed a cooperation agreement with Statistics Sweden to develop regional capacity in migration statistics among COMESA Member States. This agreement is financed by Government of Sweden through the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA). The project is being implemented by the African Union Institute for Statistics (STATAFRIC) and selected Regional Economic Communities, namely COMESA, ECOWAS, IGAD and EAC. The main objective of the project is to improve the availability of regular up-todate migration statistics of good quality, for use in policies at the national, regional and continental level to adequately address issues of migration in Africa.
As part of the initiation of the program, COMESA seeks to recruit the services of an experienced Migration Statistics Officer.
JOB TITLE: Migration Statistical Officer
GRADE : Professional Level (P2)
SUPERVISOR : Head Statistics Unit
DUTY STATION: Lusaka, Zambia
SALARY : USD 72,000 p.a. all-inclusive.
CONTRACT DURATION : The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of two (2) years.
RELOCATION & SETTLEMENT : Payment of one (1) month’s salary for settling in costs to the successful candidate. The relocation to Lusaka and back to their home country at end of contract will be covered by the Project.
1. Main Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general guidance of the Head of the Statistics Unit at COMESA Secretariat and the direct supervision of the Statistics Sweden Advisor of the Project on Migration Statistics, the incumbent shall:
- Contribute to the formulation and implementation of the statistics programme on migration, including improving the coverage, quality and harmonisation of migration statistics in COMESA region;
- Manage databases on migration stocks/flows and ensure timely collection and availability of data;
- Participate actively in the development of the third edition of the Labour Migration Statistics in Africa publication;
- Provide substantive technical assistance, knowledge and capacity development for the implementation of the best practices for the improvement of migration data in the COMESA Member States;
- Assist in strengthening coordination among different actors, including advocacy, networking and partnership building initiatives;
- Provide substantive inputs to knowledge management/sharing and contribute to monitoring and evaluation of results;
- Work collaboratively with other colleagues to achieve the project goals;
- Provide technical contribution to advise the COMESA Secretariat and Advisor in Migration related activities;
- Maintain a proper filing and recording system for all incoming and outgoing correspondences and documents;
- Perform any other duties, including administrative duties that may be assigned.
Candidates must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, and/or Demography. A higher qualification would be an added advantage; Database/software applications and management knowledge are also advantageous.
3. Professional Experience:
Candidates must have at least seven (7) years of relevant experience on migration statistics and specifically labour migration statistics in a Government, continental or international organization. International experience will be an added advantage.
4. Other relevant knowledge and skills
Candidates for this position should have:
- A. Functional Skills
Profound understanding of statistical methods, data collection from surveys of individuals and households, and other entities in the national statistical systems;
Specific understanding of the design and conduct of labour force surveys as well labour migration analyses;
Working knowledge of programmes/project management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation; Excellent organizational and time-management skills; Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including excellent word-processing capabilities, database management, proficiency with internet applications and experience in using office software applications such as MS Excel, Power Point and Word, and experience in using electronic data processing systems and statistical software for data analysis.
- B. Personal Abilities
Ability to deliver under tight deadlines and work well under pressure; Analytical and problem solving abilities; Excellent interpersonal relationship practices to meet and deal with persons of diverse backgrounds; Ability to use clear, concise language in correspondence as well as including content fitting for the purpose and audiences when preparing written briefs and reports; Able to operate in a multicultural environment; High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound teamspirit; Adaptive, patient, resourceful, resilient and flexible; Pro-active and solutions oriented.
5. LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Must be fluent in English and/or French and/or Arabic (speaking and writing). A combination of any two or all these languages will be an added advantage.
6. ELIGIBILITY FOR APPLICATION
Applicants must be citizens of a COMESA Member country and not more than 55 years of age at the time of submitting the application.
7. FINAL DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS
Applications MUST be submitted electronically through email on the prescribed COMESA APPLICATION FORM which can be accessed at the following COMESA website: http://www.comesa.int/, Opportunities, COMESA Job Application Format.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application should reach the address below not later than 9th October 2020 at 18:00 hours Lusaka, Zambia time.
The Director of Human Resources and Administration
Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa
Ben Bella Road,
P.O Box 30051,
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]