- Company: FCO
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Zambia
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Information Technology Services
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
To be responsible for the overall administration of the IT support structure for the British High Commission in collaboration with the FCDO Regional BSD Manager.
The candidate will ensure that the network runs smoothly, helping users to resolve IT issues and to get the most from the system. Provide support to the wider Corporate Services Team on procurement,ICT Budget management and other issues as required. The position will require a proactive approach to ensure that work is undertaken efficiently and the successful job holder will need to have a flexible approach to their work and working schedule.
Roles and responsibilities :
First line support for the IHMG team’s primary Windows networks.
- Anticipate and respond to user support requests in a timely and professional manner; troubleshoot and resolve user problems; provide ad-hoc training to users to help them make the most of the system; manage user accounts and access to the system; escalate problems to IT colleagues in the UK as appropriate.
Hardware and network infrastructure support.
- Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and network problems; escalate problems to IT colleagues in the UK as appropriate; rebuild, repair and replace faulty equipment; upkeep of hardware inventory.
Management and support of non-business critical and PAG systems.
- Manage user accounts and access to smaller Windows networks; management and support of hardware, software and network infrastructure; help set up rooms and equipment for presentations; provide support for users working on Partners Across Government (PAG) systems as required.
Help ensure the security of the system and building
- Control user access to the system; ensure IT security procedures are complied with; escalate potential breaches as appropriate.
- Provide general administrative support to other members of the Corporate Services Team (e.g.procurement). Compile and present monthly statistics of IT help desk requests. Manage and monitor the Corporate Services SLA for ICT support. Managing of performance of local maintenance contracts;managing servie provider relations with(including but not limited to) Mobile phone (MITEL VOICE/IP telephony system),fixed line and document production companies.
- Ensure accurate ICT budgeting and forecasting.
- Crisis Management/Business Continuity: Supporting the Logistics Lead. Maintaining the Consular Emergency Kit IT, including the bi-monthly testing of the equipment.
- Contributing towards the mission wide activities.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- IT Budget
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Strong IT skills (hardware, software and services) supported by IT related qualifications with some experience in IT support;
- A working knowledge of Facilities and Data Centre management including structured cabling, HVAC and house keeping routines
- Strong Knowledge of IT applications, MS Windows and Wi-Fi networks.
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Experience providing administrative support to wider teams
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
- ITIL Service Management coupled with a technical qualification in IT support and service delivery,
- Understanding of the Service Desk function and processes,
- Knowledge and understanding of Virtual Private Networking, routing and switching,
- Knowledge of business continuity planning and disaster recovery
- Understanding of budgeting, procurement processes, contract management, SLAs and Value for Money
- At least 2 years’ experience supporting customers in a fast paced and high pressure environment
Language: Proficient English
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Appreciation of Project Management principles,
- Working knowledge of cloud computing technologies and applications
- Experience in providing IT helpdesk support
- Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Delivering Value for Money,
- Delivering at Pace, Demonstrating Resilience
Application deadline 16 November 2020 Grade A2 (L) Type of Position Permanent Working hours per week 36 Region Africa Country/Territory Zambia Location (City) Lusaka Type of Post British High Commission Number of vacancies 1 Starting monthly salary () ZMW 12,123.66 Start Date 4 January 2021
The British High Commission Lusaka is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission Lusaka are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to Zambian employment law.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.