Gender Policy Consultant
Jobs at:Restless Development Zambia
Deadline of this Job:
14 September 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Monday, September 06, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Organisation name: Restless Development
Dates (Start/End): 1st October to 15th December,2021
Restless Development goal/s: Deliver a Restless Development Gender policy
Thematic focus: Gender and Work culture, Gender and Programming, Gender and Strategy and Gender and Recruitment process.
PURPOSE OF THE CONSULTANCY:
Restless Development Zambia would like to undertake the development of its internal Gender Policy which will aim to facilitate gender equality practices within Restless Development programming and operations as well as its culture underpinned by the organisational values.
This policy will address Integration of Gender in programming and operations by taking into consideration the local context as well as promote a gender sensitive work culture. Further, the policy will address gaps that may exist in other areas such as recruitment of staff into the organisation. The Gender Policy will also ensure that all the gaps in the aforementioned areas are breached and there are clear guidelines in place to make the undertakings of the organisation gender transformed.
Restless Development recognises that gender equality is a fundamental human right. People of all genders are entitled to live with dignity and without fear and as equal partners in society. We recognise that gender equality is a precondition for advancing development and reducing poverty across the world. Restless Development also recognises that much more needs to be done, that gender equality remains an unfulfilled promise.
Our programmes and initiatives always strive to be gender transformative and we have a strong agency-level commitment to gender equality. We understand that this often requires consciously using different approaches to working with all genders in order to achieve gender equality. Our work is premised on the following Principles:
1. All young people, and the community members they engage, are equal partners in the design and delivery of Restless Development programs and strategies regardless of their gender. This includes programming falling under all of our goal areas; Voice, Living, Sexual Rights and Leadership:
1.1 Gender Transformative Approach is utilized in all programming, ensuring the deliberate inclusion of gender at all stages of programming, including planning, implementation and evaluation – and this process will be sensitive to the local context in Zambia.
1.2 All our programmes / projects acknowledge that gender is an intersectional category and that based on age, caste, class and other diversity factors young people and individuals are based in positions of power and powerlessness.
1.3 Every programme design specifically addresses gender across the model, resourcing activities appropriately (including training for staff and volunteers to increase capability to deliver genderoriented impacts irrespective of the goal area) and do not assume that outcomes for all genders will be the same with the same activities.
2. MEL: We disaggregate our data beyond just gender to include age, sex, disability etc. and ensure organisational learning captures a gender analysis, feeding reflections back into programmatic design.
2.1 Every programme must monitor outputs and outcomes specifically by gender, disaggregating data wherever possible. Evaluating outputs within the context of gender relations at different levels (household, community, national, global).
2.2 Gender analysis is an ongoing process which is embedded in all stages of the programme cycle with end to end management. It informs conceptualization, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of all programmes.
3. Inclusive Programming: When required we provide additional support to young people marginalized by their gender to enable them to participate effectively. We promote the voices of young people marginalized by their gender in local, national and global advocacy spaces.
4. Challenge Negative Gender Norms: We address not just the gendered issues faced by youth, especially young women and girls, but the root causes and negative gender norms to the realization of Human Rights for all. We work to educate and involve not just young people but the wider community including elders and community leaders. In all our work we actively engage young men to ensure their participation in promoting gender equality.
5. Work with Partners: We ensure all stakeholders in our work (including our own staff, programme and government partners) adhere to similar gender equality principles and where this isn’t the case we work to build their capacity. We actively seek to engage with partners (including youth-led organisations) working on gender rights issues through our global capacity building work.
5.1 All programmes / projects / trainings conducted by Restless Development will include adequately trained and sensitized staff espousing the Do No Harm principle, the issue of gender will be highlighted when assessing potential harm.
5.2 All the gender principles within our programmatic work and operations are supported by an Organisational Policy which aims to ensure gender equality practices within Restless Development operations and its culture and practice (including an equal opportunity policy).
The consultant will report directly to the Hub Director of Restless Development Zambia. The consultant will be expected to undertake a number of techniques to gather the needed information that will guarantee a diverse Gender Policy for the Organisation. The consultant will be expected to review and use Restless Development’s documents that speak to gender as well as review relevant government policies and labour laws as well as regional documents that we are signatories to. The consultant will also be urged to utilise Evidence-based research on good practices as further justification on the need for this policy.
Involvement of young people and staff will be required, to work out with them the best Gender strategies that speak to the Organisation’s mandate. The final Gender Policy for Restless Development should be able to speak to what Restless Development believes in and stands for. The Gender Policy will be an easy to use document that will include the provision of practical approaches and guidelines. It is envisaged that the developed and easy to use Gender Policy will address an intentional Integration of gender in programming; monitoring and evaluation; operations and recruitment. This will be done by taking into consideration the local context, labour laws and Restless Development policies and values.
The consultant will meet the following deliverables in line with the agreed timetable (to be confirmed at the start of the consultancy):
• An initial work plan with clear timeframes
• A summary document detailing the findings of a research, forecast and evaluation of the effects of the potential gender policy on Restless Development using organizational resources.
• Submission of two draft policy documents in electronic format to Restless Development for feedback, in line with the agreed timeframe and in accordance with the format prescribed by Restless Development.
• Submission of a comprehensive final policy document in electronic format to Restless Development, in line with the agreed timeframe, and in accordance with the format prescribed by Restless Development.
• Orientation for a select number of staff on the ins and outs of the final document.
The Format of the Policy document should include the following sections;
I. Executive summary
III. Policy statement
IV. Underpinning principles, values and philosophies
V. Broad policy objectives which reflect the areas in which the organisation and its staff are liable.
VI. Strategies to achieve each objective.
VII. Desired outcomes of specific actions.
VIII. Performance indicators
IX. Management plans and day to day operational rules covering all aspects of the Policy delivery.
X. A review strategy
NB: The body of the final document excluding annexes shall not be more than 20 pages.
• Submission of all data to Restless Development before contract end-date.
• A PowerPoint presentation should be made available to Restless Development delineating the highlights of the gender policy- one that can be shared internally and externally.
• Incorporation of comments and feedback as presented by Restless Development team members
To support the consultant, carry out their task, Restless Development will;
• Facilitate introductions and communications with staff and or stakeholders
• Avail relevant documentation to consultant i.e gender desk review, our values, gender principles, key policies and guidelines of the organisation
• A university degree at the postgraduate level in the Gender, development studies or other relevant field of study.
• Experience working with different organisations including youth organisations, NGOs, UN agencies and government bodies
• Demonstrated experience in policy design
• Experience of collecting and analysing data (For example;. surveys, focus groups)
• Must have extensive knowledge/experience in gender programming and current trends around gender globally and locally (Zambian Context)
• Experience in leading multi-disciplinary teams to deliver quality products in high stress and short deadline situations;
Skills / Technical Knowledge:
• Excellent written and presentation skills (English)
• Excellent analytical and report writing skills;
• Strong communication skills
• Must be a self-starter and be able to work independently with excellent demonstrated teamwork, coordination and facilitation skills;
• Ability to work in a multicultural team environment and to deliver under pressure/meet deadlines
• Ability to network with partners on various levels
• Comfortable with the necessary computer skills.
• Expert knowledge of English
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST SUBMISSION
Consultants meeting the above criteria are invited to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) by email to Restless Development via the email: [email protected] with the subject line “EOI For Restless Development Zambia Gender Policy Consultant’’
The main body of the EOI should be a maximum of four pages and should include the following:
1. A (4-page max) cover letter including:
• Demonstrating an understanding of the requirements of the TOR;
• Proposed approach to reach the objectives of these TOR
• Financial Proposal for completing this work
• Any recommendations or modifications related to the TOR
• Qualifications and demonstrated experience in conducting gender policy design
• Proposed schedule of availability.
• Consultant’s daytime phone numbers and email contacts.
2. A (3-page max) CV of the Consultant, outlining previous experience and accomplishments as it relates to the skills and knowledge needed to fulfil the requirements of the TOR
List of three referees who can attest to Consultant’s experience and expertise as it relates to this Organization and TOR.
• All applications should be submitted by – 14th September,2021
• Recruitment of the consultant by-20th September.2021
• Agreement of work plan and deliverables by-1st October,2021
• Deliverables completed by –15th December,2021