- Company: GreenCo Power Services Limited
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Zambia
Job Title: Energy Trader
Location: Lusaka, Zambia or remotely
Recruitment Period: April/May 2021
A. About GreenCo Power Services Limited (GreenCo)
GreenCo acts as an intermediary off taker and service provider, purchasing power from renewable IPPs and selling that electricity to utilities and private sector off takers (i.e. commercial and industrial users) and markets of the SAPP. Through its activities, GreenCo will increase the supply of, and demand for, finance for energy projects, and mobilise private sector capital more quickly towards critical and transformative capacity addition.
GreenCo’s vision is to lead innovation and sustainably transform renewable energy markets
- An innovative, forward-looking approach to power markets with sector changing potential.
- Focus on creating impact through innovative new business solutions in the energy sector.
- Agile start-up culture with a focus on individual responsibility and personal impact.
GreenCo offers an excellent, dynamic and exciting work environment for the right candidate with significant potential for further personal development and career advancement.
B. The Role in Context
We’re hiring for an Energy Trader to help us implement our trading strategy and to be responsible for matters pertaining to technical operation, power trading and scheduling.
Key duties of the Energy Trader:
- Support in achieving the company’s mandate to schedule and trade in energy;
- Coordinating scheduling activities with trading risk management, financial reporting, asset management and settlement functions;
- Managing the company’s exposure to pass through charges and trading obligations;
- Managing and liaising with other schedulers to optimise processes and create synergies;
- Seek beneficial trading opportunities and optimising the trading portfolio through a detailed understanding of SAPP/utility wheeling methodologies, network losses, congestion management, inadvertent energy and ancillary services provision and charge calculation models;
- Enter and manage trading bids in SAPP market platforms as one of the company’s registered SAPP traders and following up on all nominations, monitoring etc. that flow from SAPP trades;
- Managing the company’s scheduling of power flows, monitoring of trade positions, validation of imbalances, transaction losses, congestion management and wheeling charges;
- Entering final metered volumes into the company’s energy management system and updating SAPP hourly settlement prices’
- Ensure prompt trade execution and use our ETRM to book trades;
- Support internally developed spreadsheets, VBA and tools, utilising Python if necessary;
- Maintain detailed and easy to follow process documentation.
C. Qualifications and Requirements
The Operations Scheduler will be expected to bring a combination of the following experience, personal attributes and qualifications:
- A minimum of four years’ relevant experience in power utility operations;
- Degree/Diploma level education;
- Must be fluent in written and oral English;
- Familiar with SAPP Market operating rules and procedures; have an understating of the guiding principles of Bilateral and competitive power trading and an in-depth understanding of SAPP competitive markets;
- Understand SAPP wheeling charge, network loss and ancillary services calculation models to optimise trading opportunities and minimise trading liabilities ideally though direct experience of scheduling power across borders;
- Possess technical understanding and operational experience with management of IPPs, scheduling, dispatch requirements etc;
- Understand the company’s exposure to pass through charges and trading obligations;
- Understand the Zambian grid and distribution codes in relation to company operation, national and regional transmission networks and interconnected operations;
- Innovative self-starter who can work on own initiative to problem solve and help build the operations function;
- Ability to use excel very efficiently. Skills in Python, R, MathLab are an advantage;
- High numerical competency, strong analytical capabilities and problem-solving approach;
- Understanding industry challenges, regulatory change and their impact on commercial opportunities;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
D. Time Commitment.
This is a full-time role and whilst the normal working week is 40 hours, it is expected that the ideal candidate will be prepared to both work and travel as required to fulfil the objectives of the business. Out of hours cover support will be required on a rota basis to deal with any issues that arise outside of normal office hours.