Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of UNDP Deputy Resident Representative, Chair of the Operations Management Team (OMT), the Common Services Manager will perform the following tasks:
Provide advice to ensure effective implementation of Common Services Operations and Business Operations Strategy (BOS) focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of operations with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets and monitoring of achievement of results;
- Business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in common services;
- Ensure Mutual Recognition i.e. for all UN Agencies to operate according to the principle of mutual recognition under the UN reformation;
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, timely readjustment of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment;
- Provide support to the Chair of OMT on all issues related to Common Services (CS), including identifying new Common Services, initiating negotiations with service providers, formulating draft agreement, monitoring performance of Common Services;
- Implement a systematic client-oriented approach in the common services operations: implement systems that improves common services efficiency and quality of service and tracks regularly UN House personnel satisfaction;
- Analyze existing Common Services and identify new areas of opportunities where Common Services interventions could be further developed, i.e., security, transport and travel services, building maintenance, ICT and IT support, procurement;
- Monitor progress of Common Services arrangements and identify constraints and delays to bring to the attention of the Chair of OMT, identify new areas of opportunities where Common Service interventions could further be developed. Develop new and improved CS, and regularly review the CS mechanism with a view to keeping it aligned with changing scope of CS in Zambia. Oversee the Common Services cost sharing arrangement. Ensure timely development of Common Ser-vices annual work plans and budgets, as required;
- Advise on the establishment of common premises, including cost-benefit analysis and coordination with agencies;
- Provide specialized technical input for the preparation of all appropriate documentation (e.g. Request for Quotations (RFQs), Invitation to Bids (ITBs) or Request for Proposals (RFPs) on all Common Premises and Facilities-related to vendor con-tracts. Technical inputs are to be provided in a timely cost effective and ethical manner within the UN financial and administrative regulations and rules in order to ensure continuity of business and value for money;
- Play the ex-officio role for OMT Secretariat and ensure a leadership role for the timely implementation of Business Operations Strategy (BOS) including the monitoring and reporting exercises;
Ensure proper Common Services (CS) organization and UN Common Premises Financial management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conduct cost benefit analysis of the various possible CS and develop a priority implementation plan;
- Review office space availability and allocations on a regular basis, ensure all floor plans are current. Periodically analyze and upgrade space policy guidelines and prescriptive content to relevant UN guideline documentation (e.g. Joint Inspection Unit -JIU);
- Coordinate and monitor progress on all major renovations with counterparts (vendors, etc.) with respect to UN standards, contract prices, budget);
- Ensure that all premises and facility management-related vendors are always performing in full compliance with all their contractual obligations;
- Proper UN Common Premises expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Organization of cost-recovery mechanisms for the UN Common Premise services provided to projects and UN Agencies, including ensuring preparation of proforma invoices for UN agencies;
- Organization and oversight of petty cash management processes, including risk assessment timely accounting and reconciliation of all petty cash transactions, security for cash assets on site;
- All financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified in compliance with IPSAS as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures.
Ensure effective implementation of OMT strategy for operations focusing on achievement of the following:
- Facilitate the development of a strategy as per the direction of OMT that will enhance common services among the UN organizations in Zambia, as well as helping with the simplification and harmonization of operational procedures/activities. Ensure ad hoc reviews are conducted to identify new areas of opportunities where CS interventions could be further developed;
- Monitor and report on progress against the UNCT-approved OMT work plan and Monitoring and Evaluation framework for reform process and periodically update and amend the OMT work plan;
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultations with UN-OMT;
- Work closely with other UN Agencies or any related task force/UN reform body in order to maximize efficiencies and opportunities for common services/operations including UNDSS on security-related issues and ensure the establishment of partnerships with all stakeholders;
- Ensure proper common services organization and management, as required by the OMT in order to achieve results;
- Plan, organize, and co-facilitate Common Service (CS) workshops, meetings and outputs in coordination with the OMT.
Efficient operations management of the UN House and UN Annex Office, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the proper performance management and staff development systems;
- Compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and elaboration of the procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement;
- Elaboration of the contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal implications. Oversight of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Proper management of assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with IPSAS in the accounting for the procurement, utilization and disposal of the assets;
- Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability;
- Maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries.
Support knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Promote identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned from the UN Zambia Common Services experience for organizational sharing and learning;
- Promote cross-Agency teamwork and the development of common services/UN reform skills of the UNCT members;
- Support capacity-building of national counterparts;
- Promote a knowledge sharing and learning culture;
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations and synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years professional work experience in relevant areas such as UN’s Common Services Management of which 3 or more years should be of project management responsibilities of similar size and complexity;
- Knowledge of UN, and the role of the UN Resident Coordinator System is an asset;
- UN operational Work experience in a conflict or post setting is an asset;
- Thorough professional and technical knowledge of ATLAS Modules or other ERP systems is an advantage;
- Experience in implementation and monitoring Action Plans involving many UN organizations to ensure effective operational common support office structure is an asset.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Demonstrated interest/experience in UN’s Common Services Management or related project management experience.
Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Empowering Others, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Leadership, Managing Performance, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Vision, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup . Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile . Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 14 December 2020
To apply for this job please visit http://www.unv.org .