Lumwana Mine, Kalumbila, Zambia.
Reporting to: Maintenance Manager
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for highly committed and qualified individuals to be considered for the position of Ancillary Superintendent.
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager, you will be responsible for the maintenance of the Ancillary Section maintenance equipment. Furthermore, this role ensures all equipment performance targets and work management KPI’s are achieved whilst also meeting the maintenance budget, with safety above all else. The development and progression of Zambian employees is a critical KPI. Your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage the maintenance of all mobile equipment and infrastructure.
- Carry out structured routine safety inspections in cooperation with mobile maintenance coordinators.
- Accountable to spend significant time in the field interacting with the team.
- Actively promote full cooperation between the maintenance and mining operation.
- Take full responsibility and accountability for the performance of the mobile maintenance team.
- Accountable for the review of cost performance monthly, including both forecast and variance analysis.
- Review competencies, scope of work, schedules of rates for all contractors ensuring costs are managed and controlled. The approval of all contractors to be approved by the Maintenance Manager only.
- With the planning team review field equipment downtime and ensure cooperation to close out actions arising from analysis.
- Accountable for work management performance in the effective and efficient application of maintenance resources as measured by schedule compliance, PM compliance, level of planned vs unplanned work and the management of backlog.
- Ensure section performance is regularly reported to the team through undertaking formal end of month toolbox meeting.
- Develop continuous improvement strategies and communicate and apply accordingly.
- Carry out routine and statutory inspections.
Experience & Qualifications
- Full Grade Twelve Certificate.
- Diploma in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 10 years mining experience focused on mobile equipment and fixed plant, with 5 years at similar level or higher.
- Proficiency with CAT equipment (CATD10 or D11 dozers, CAT16 or 24 graders, CAT993 or CAT994 wheel loaders) is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in large multi pit operations utilising large-scale mining equipment.
- Demonstrated experience in leading teams of people from diverse cultural backgrounds, and a person who leads by example.
- Demonstrated experience in asset management, project management and cost management.
- Proven ability to deliver results and act as a change agent.
- High level understanding of all relevant legislation affecting the employment and safety of persons in the mining industry in Zambia.
- Experience in managing department costs and budgeting.
- Demonstrated application of continuous improvement ideas.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels.
- Member of the Engineering Institute of Zambian
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: