Senior Legal Officer
Jobs at:Ecobank Zambia
Deadline of this Job:
21 June 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Ecobank Zambia is a full-service bank providing a broad range of products and Services to Consumer, Commercial and Corporate business segments within its branches and through its digital platforms.
The bank’s vision is to build a world-class Pan-African bank and contribute to the economic development and financial integration of Africa by providing customers with convenient, accessible and reliable financial products and services. The bank is an affiliate of the Pan-Africa Leader Ecobank Group which is present in 33 Countries in Africa.
In order to respond to our growing market with the required human capital, we are currently looking for an experienced professional in the following area:
Senior Legal Officer
General Job Information
Job Title Senior Legal Officer
Reports to Head Legal/Company Secretary
Location Head Office – Zambia
Direct Reports None
• Ensuring prompt perfection of securities to protect the Bank
• Issuing prompt Legal Opinions to the Bank and Branches in line with existing Policies Laws and regulation
• Advise on security documentation in respect of Credit Request and ensuring such documents are properly executed before disbursement of facilities
• Ensure safe keeping of security documents in line with best Industry Practices
• Ensuring lease agreement and all agreements executed by the Bank contain terms beneficial to the Bank
• Represent and project the Bank’s Interest in forums for contemporary issues in the Banking industry
• To undertake general office administration and attend to litigation cases and crisis issues bank wide, with a view to mitigating the bank’s contingent liabilities.
• Assist in debt collection by handling debt collection cases internally and by working closely with Head EWRR on cases being handled internally and by the external lawyers.
• Handle and respond to all Garnishee Orders, and any enquiries by authorized bodies on the Bank.
• Review all Legal Documents and Contracts.
• Advise the Bank on key Regulatory and Statutory developments that impinge the business of the bank.
• To carry out any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
The position requires:
• Ability to understand Compliance risks and how to mitigate them.
• Ability to understand the Ecobank strategy.
• Sense of detail and capacity to identify business related risks and internal control weaknesses.
• Willingness to learn, understand and monitor the legal and regulatory requirements.
• Willingness to undertake both formal and informal training as and when necessary to increase knowledge and develop abilities.
• Familiarity with operational, financial, quality assurance, and human resource procedures and regulations is a must.
• Willingness to educate and train staff.
• Focusing on client.
• Demonstrate integrity and accountability.
• Delivering results.
• Constant reminders to branches are inevitable especially on the need to comply with the legal requirements in regard to perfection of securities with a view of protecting the bank’s interest
• The volume of work in Retail banking.
• Incomplete or erroneous requests and applications which require constant guidance whilst customer satisfaction remains key.
To make available for the Bank and Management consideration, the appropriate legal advice on all legal and regulatory issues.
• Identify expertise required to implement business strategies, in terms of roles and skills
• Facilitate preparation and execution of all security documents for and on behalf of the bank.
• Review all legal files and security documentation and ensure that the same adequately cover all risks
• Advise shareholders and stakeholders on key regulatory and statutory developments that impinge the business of the bank.
• Ensure that the bank is adequately represented on all legal and other matters
• Ensure that all securities offered are duly completed and registered
2. Advisory & Co-ordination of Legal Affairs
To provide Legal Advisory services to all staff and ensure that all staff are aware of the Legal Risk faced by the Bank and ways of mitigating such risks.
• Offer guidance to the Branches on all legal issues and provide training to Bank Staff to raise legal awareness.
• Ensure that evidence in all court proceedings where the bank is a party is availed.
• Attendance and preparation of Minutes of Departmental Meetings and any other meetings as may be requested by the Head Legal/Company Secretary.
• Taking appropriate action against loan defaulters from sending out demand notices to finalization of matters under litigation.
• Liaison with external advocates in respect of litigation.
• Attending to Litigation matters.
• Availing opinions on legal issues affecting the Bank
3. Legal Operations and Information Systems
To organize, process and produce monthly reports, data and information for informed management decisions.
• Gather, analyse and maintain data and information on Legal cases
• Maintain and coordinate the Contracts, Guarantees, Securities Registers.
• Ensure implementation and compliance with operational instructions from Legal and Audit missions
• Other key responsibility will include: – Perform all other duties as reasonably assigned.
• Bachelor of Laws Degree
• Advocate of the High Court of Zambia (AHCZ)
• At least 6 years work experience in Legal/Company Secretarial Function of a large and dynamic multi – national organisation.
• Strong planning & organizing skills.
• Pay attention to detail.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
• Excellent communication & interpersonal skills.
• Capability to working in a diverse & dynamic environment
• Dynamic, result oriented problem solver.
• Strong commitment to team environment dynamics with the ability to contribute expertise and follow leadership directives at appropriate times
• Strong IT capabilities, fully conversant with Microsoft office.
• Excellent analytical skills
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
If you meet the requirements and would like to be part of the Pan African Bank, please complete the questionnaire in this link and forward your updated Cover letter/CV to [email protected] no later than Monday, 21st June 2021 by close of business.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.