Reporting to Sales Manager & Operations Director
Retail sales supervisors work in retail environments as full-time employees. Because this is a supervisory position, people in this career work with little to no supervision. The retail sales supervisor works with sales associates and customers daily. Their duties also include implementing marketing campaigns and maintaining store profitability. People in this position must be detail-oriented and have excellent problem-solving skills. Retail sales supervisors often work nights, weekends, and holidays. Travel and continuing education often go hand-in-hand with this career.
Retail Sales Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
These core duties include the following tasks:
Hire and Train Sales Associates
Retail sales supervisors are in a supervisory position and are ultimately responsible for their sales staff. This means that hiring and training new sales associates is a necessary function of the job. They also supervise sales associates to make sure they are performing their job duties well.
Implementing Marketing Plans
A good retail sales supervisor will keep the store’s profits high and keep selling merchandise regularly. This means that developing marketing strategies and putting them into use is essential. This may entail promoting in-store sales to get customers interested in available products.
Another function of a retail sales supervisor will be in organising & promoting seminars.
The retail sales supervisor will be involved in organising & promoting new store openings.
Retail sales supervisors set and meet sales goals to keep profits flowing at a high level. This requires checking items that aren’t selling as well and adjusting pricing or marketing strategies as necessary to get those products moving out of the store.
In many cases, retail sales supervisors will participate in ongoing training by attending leadership conferences, sales seminars, and similar events. This will require some travel
Maintain the Sales Floor and Inventory
The retail sales supervisor works closely with inventory systems to make sure that popular items are being restocked on shelves and that less popular items are not being ordered in large amounts. Keeping the sales floor attractive and appealing is an ongoing duty to keep merchandise moving out of the store.
Retail Sales Supervisor Skills and Qualifications
Retail sales supervisors must have strong leadership abilities, in addition to good customer service and sales experience. In this position, we look for candidates who possess the following qualifications:
• Attention to detail – the retail sales supervisor is ultimately responsible for the store’s inventory and for keeping sale shelves stocked, so they must be well-organized and detail-oriented
• Salesmanship – the supervisor fills in for sales associates who are out sick, on vacation leave, or on break, which means that a background in sales is essential
• Customer service – there will be times when the retail sales supervisor must step in to mediate and smooth over customer problems, so experience in customer service is a big help
• Leadership skills – because the retail sales supervisor is in a supervisory position, a background in management or leading others is highly desired.
• Marketing skills – the main goal is to sell products and keep profits high, so experience in marketing plays a key role in retail sales
• Driving license – we currently have 19 retail outlets so in some cases and when vehicles are available this will entail travelling to all stores.
Retail Sales Supervisor Education and Training
We are looking for people in this position generally to have a bachelor’s degree in marketing or a related field. We also look for candidates who have a background in sales. In some cases, a lot of sales experience can make up for a lack of degree.
On-the-job training for retail sales supervisors will be somewhat limited. After you are familiarized with the store, the stockroom, and the various inventory systems used, you will be expected to carry out your duties with little to no supervision or assistance.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com .