- Company: IHG Hotels & Resorts
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
The InterContinental Lusaka is located on a tree-lined avenue in the Embassy area of Lusaka, close to the Judiciary and international corporate head offices. Originally opened in 1968.
After a multi-million-dollar renovations we are ready to re-launch this iconic hotel in Q3 2022 and the IHG’s InterContinental brand in the heart of Lusaka city, Zambia.
Your day to day
- Ensure all food and beverage equipment are in proper operational condition and are cleaned on a regular basis as per established standards and cleaning rosters.
- Oversees that the SOP manual is being used and that staff are trained accordingly.
- Coordinate with the Executive Chef to maintain responsible and effective recruitment, training and development, certification, performance evaluation, turnover reduction and optimization of productivity through efficient work practices and staff rostering.
- Assist the Executive Chef to give a positive commitment to continuous improvement of product and performance.
- Complete forecasts, plans, and departmental production reports for management.
- Participate in the preparation of the hotel’s annual budget and the setting of departmental goals.
- Prepare and manage a cost-effective budget with measurable targets for department within the financial parameters set down by the hotel budget.
- Effectively monitor and analyse variations from the budget
- Develop procedures that track, report on, and control the running costs of the kitchen.
- Maintain updated and accurate costing and documentation of all dishes prepared in the operation.
- Manage all functions of the outlet operation to achieve optimum departmental profit
- Oversee special events and special food promotions
- Issues recipes and maintains up-dated and accurate costing of all dishes prepared and sold in the kitchen.
- Assist the Executive Chef to develop new dishes and products as appropriate.
- Take steps to ensure that outstanding culinary technical skills are maintained.
- Maintain comprehensive product knowledge including ingredients, equipment, suppliers, markets and current trends and make appropriate adjustments to kitchen operations accordingly.
- Assist the Executive Chef on an on-going basis, the control and analysis of the level of the following:
- Issuing of food
- Quality and presentation of food products
- Condition and cleanliness of facilities and equipment
- Guest satisfaction
- Monitor day-to-day staffing requirements in kitchen. Provide mentoring, coaching and regular feedback to help manage conflict and improve team member performance.
- Educate and train all team members in compliance with local laws and safety regulations. Ensure staff is properly trained on quality and service standards, has the necessary tools and equipment, and is empowered to carry out job duties.
- Responsible for conducting effective departmental meetings on a regular basis and communicates information of importance to the team.
- Attends regular Food and Beverage meetings to obtain and share information.
- Coordinate with Executive Chef to conduct scheduled food and beverage inventory procedures. Maintain minimum and maximum stocks for all food, beverage, material, and equipment.
- Ensure the security and proper storage of food and beverage products, inventory and equipment, and replenish supplies in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ensure all food and beverage items served to guests are of the highest standard, and presentation is as per established standards.
- Manage day-to-day kitchen activities in outlet. Plan and assign work, and establish performance and development goals for team members. Provide mentoring, coaching, and regular feedback to help manage conflict and improve team member performance.
- Educate and train team members in compliance with brand standards, service behaviours, and governmental regulations. Ensure staff has the tools, training, and equipment to carry out job duties.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments.
- Develop with the Executive Chef popular menus offering guests value for money in accordance with IHG guidelines.
- Plan and organize with the Executive Chef successful Food and Beverage activities in the hotel and oversee them.
- Attend and participate in other meetings as required by the administrative calendar
- Assist the Executive Chef on the upkeep of an up-dated Hotel Policies and Procedures file on the following Food Production matters:
- Personnel and Training
- Material and Equipment
- Monitor and maintain established PAR stocks of all food, material and equipment in the operation.
- Monitor local competitors and compare their operation with the outlet operation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What we need from you
What we need from you
Supervises Pastry kitchen employees in a mid-size luxury hotel with multiple major food and beverage outlets and banquet facilities with capacity to cater to more than 600 people. May oversee subordinate supervisors and professional culinary staff.
- Completion of a degree or certificate in culinary arts
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in a similar position with at least 2 years in a management capacity or a related field with a proven track record of success.
- Experience in a 5-star luxury hotel company is essential.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in Portuguese & English, particularly to deal effectively with people from diverse backgrounds. second language skills desired
- Vast knowledge of international culinary practices, menus and offerings
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team
- Maintains high confidentiality in regards to guest privacy and any related hotel matters.
- Familiar with hotel software systems Windows, Excel, PowerPoint, MICROS and other POS systems
- Able to work rotational shifts in any day of the week.
- Able to work in other sections of the department as required
- Experience with financial budgeting is desirable.
- with financial budgeting is desirable.
What we offer
In return we’ll give you a competitive financial and benefits package and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we’ll give you the Room to be yourself. So what’s your passion?
Please get in touch if this position matches your skills and interests and tell us how you could bring your individual competencies by clicking “Apply Online”.
At IHG we are committed to developing our team and managing our talent and would encourage internal as well as external candidates to apply for any of our vacancies. We are an equal opportunities employer.