The Senior Proposal Development Manager initiates prospect contact and develops, drafts, and coordinates compelling multidisciplinary and multi-collaborative proposal submissions, ranging in size, scope, and complexity matching Orbis needs with donor priorities. They research and identify new grant prospects, steward and build relationships, draft robust proposals and other collateral materials, and manage submission of proposals to a range of private and public funding agencies and institutional donors.
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The Senior Proposal Development Manager reports to the Global Director of Foundation & Government Relations and collaborates closely with the Grants Associate and other Orbis Development and Program staff. The Senior Program Development Manager regularly liaises with colleagues in New York as well as Orbis offices globally in carrying out job responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Write, edit and coordinate high quality LOIs, concept notes and proposals, ensuring compliance with donor interests and guidelines and promoting coordination across programs, program operations, and other foundation relations and development staff.
- Prepare proposal outline, write proposal sections of limited technical complexity and gather background information to support proposal efforts.
- Support virtual cross-functional proposal teams – including internal staff, partners, consultants – to develop and communicate proposal strategy. Facilitate design sessions that result in agreed upon program design responsive to donor requirements and expectations.
- Apply best practice processes based on working knowledge of fundamental principles, terminology, and methodology of proposal development and/or writing.
- Initiate regular cultivation and solicitation visits and calls to donor prospects, including program staff. Coordinates preparation of research and briefing materials for own visits, or for executive, program, and/or other development staff.
- Monitor trends in giving and keep abreast of programmatic developments for application in fundraising strategies and donor relations. Advise on cultivation strategies for foundation donors. Research prospects and develop cultivation and solicitation strategies for assigned portfolio.
- Coordinate stewardship for grants in assigned portfolio, working with Program staff to assist in the development of required reports and updates, including ensuring compliance with donor requirements and guidelines. Support all post submission activities such as lessons learned, debriefings, client question and answer.
- Understand and communicate to Proposal Teams the latest developments, innovations, and best practices within the international development industry and proposal management profession.
- Contribute to a team that values inclusivity, innovation, and equity. The Development Team engages in monthly intentional equity activities to inform and drive conversations around how diversity, equity, and inclusion impact the philanthropy space.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated success with foundation, corporate, or government cultivation and proposal writing required. International development sector experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum five (5) years related work experience required.
- Experience with donor/CRM databases a plus.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Reputation as a critical and strategic thought-partner, with a demonstrated ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities from disparate sets of information and provide clear conclusions and guidance.
- Demonstrated skills in coalescing teams and teamwork and in building consensus;
- Demonstrated skills in meeting facilitation;
- Experience in program design approaches and methodologies, such as results frameworks, theories of change, logic modeling, and/or logical frameworks;
- Experience in writing, reviewing, and analyzing technical proposals;
- Excellent technical skills in writing, editing, formatting, and verbal communications;’
- Exceptional stakeholder and relationship management skills.
This position is available as a fully remote role. You’ll be able to work from your home office when not travelling for Orbis or meeting with donors.
For those who prefer to work in an office setting some or part of the time, our New York office has temporary and permanent desk solutions for employees that can accommodate those preferences.
Orbis’s current policy requires that all staff visiting the New York office must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
To learn more about Orbis, go to http://www.orbis.org
Candidates sharing a 3–5-page writing sample will be given preference.
Orbis is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It recognizes and values the intersecting identities people bring to Orbis.
As a global organization, Orbis welcomes qualified applicants who reflect the five Orbis values of Accountability, Caring, Commitment, Excellence, and Trust. We encourage qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, cultures, lived experience with their mission, and/or those belonging to communities that have been historically excluded and/or marginalized to apply.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com .