MISA Zambia seeks to fill some research positions under a project, Strengthening Free and Independent Media for the 2021 Electoral Cycle . The project will be implemented with support from the BBC Media Action and with financial support from the European Union (EU).
Research Assistants – x8
Duration : 8 Months (March to October 2021)
Location : Lusaka
Deadline : Monday, 2nd February 2021
Background to the Project
Media has long been recognized as a cornerstone of democracy and a contributor to free and fair elections. It aids informed voting among citizens because it serves as a platform for information access and political discourse during elections. Media which publishes ethical content that is fair, balanced and truthful among others, fosters not only informed voting but transparency which in turn strengthens democracy and facilitates free and fair elections in which electorates well informed in a free manner. Media monitoring will be done in different intervals within the electoral cycle. It will be based on carefully selected media outlets across the country.
The RESEARCH ASSISTANTS will;
- Monitor and enter data related to the electoral cycle from target media houses in Zambia,
- Draft reports for submission to Lead Researcher,
- Produce bimonthly and one consolidated draft reports that are analytical detailing coverage of the electoral cycle of target media houses in Zambia,
- Assist to plan and execute dissemination activities for the compiled reports,
- Assist Lead Researcher to develop strategies for addressing shortcomings or challenges that may impede media’s role in the electoral process,
- Compile infographics for every report produced for circulation online,
- Prepare and circulate press statements and speeches for launch events for reports produced during the life of the project,
- File all recorded news programmes and newspaper cuttings with stories on the electoral process in Zambia for easy reference,
- Prepare summaries of the reports for postings to MISA Zambia social media pages, and
- Address press queries from media on the project’s reports.
Qualifications and abilities.
i. Degree or Diploma in social sciences while journalism or mass communication, will be an added advantage
ii. Minimum of three years of experience in data entry and research,
iii. Knowledge of media laws in Zambia that guide the practice of journalism, including during elections, iv. Knowledge of media ethics
iv. Knowledge of working with media and media associations is an added advantage,
v. Working knowledge of statistical analysis packages and presentation packages like SPSS or PowerPoint is required,
vii. Able to effectively interact with co-workers and different stakeholders,
viii. Able to perform independently and as part of a team to meet deadlines and objectives of the project,
ix. Innovative and self-driven, and
x. Able to organize publicity events and work under pressure.
All applications will be by email. Please clearly indicate in the subject line the position you are applying for. Motivation letter and curriculum vitae should be in one email or better still as one document. Please make sure that you have at least two traceable referees. At this point, do not attach any academic or professional certificates. Email to [email protected] and [email protected] Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The National Director
Tel: +260 211 294285 /6
Deadline for submission of applications: 2nd February 2021
Women are encouraged to apply
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]