Request for Expression of Interest to Provide Consultancy for the Job Evaluation and Review of ZIPAR Conditions of Service
Jobs at:Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research (ZIPAR)
Deadline of this Job:
09 September 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Request for Expression of Interest to Provide Consultancy for the Job Evaluation and Review of ZIPAR Conditions of Service.
The Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research (ZIPAR) is a think tank whose mandate is to conduct research and policy analysis to inform public policy. ZIPAR was established by a joint agreement between the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) and the African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF). The think tank was established under The Societies Act Chapter 119 of the Laws of Zambia in 2006 and became operational in 2009. ZIPAR was gazetted as a grant-aided Institution under the Ministry of National Development Planning (MNDP) under Gazette Notice No. 836 of 2016.
The Institute supports Government, the Private Sector, Civil Society Organisations and other stakeholders by providing evidence-based policy advice. ZIPAR also promotes policy dialogue between the Government and a wide range of stakeholders, facilitating an inclusive process in the planning and management of economic affairs. To leverage its work, ZIPAR engages in strategic collaborations with like-minded institutions, including academic institutions, policy analysis and research think tanks, the media and advocacy agencies. ZIPAR has key partnerships with both local and international organisations.
Overtime both the internal and external operating environment of ZIPAR has undergone changes. Externally there has been an increased demand for ZIPAR’s work from various stakeholders while at the same time financial resources, in particular core funding, has dwindled. Internally due to the changes in the external environment, there has been an increased need for a highly productive work force with the ability to meet the increased needs and financial challenges – doing more with less. Therefore, in keeping with its vision of becoming a dynamic think tank of international repute influencing public policy in Zambia, ZIPAR has to continually adapt to the changing environments and ensure that it continues to deliver on its mandate. One of the main essential factors in this adaptation is ZIPAR’s human capital which now more than ever is required to drive the Institution through the changing environment. Therefore, a highly innovative, productive, motivated and efficient workforce is critical.
ZIPAR seeks to engage the services of a reputable and technically qualified individual or firm with extensive expertise in labour market analyses, management and organizational development to undertake an independent salary and benefits survey process. ZIPAR therefore hereby request for proposals from interested individuals or firms to conduct a review of ZIPAR’s conditions of service and support the Institute in establishing a competitive performance-based salary scale and rewards system for its employees in line with the prevailing market rates and ‘same level’ organisations taking cognisance of ZIPAR’s operating environment.
2. Objectives of the Consultancy
• Ensure that ZIPAR staff conditions of service align with general economic and operating environment.
• Conduct a job evaluation exercise to determine the relative value of the roles in ZIPAR.
• Establish a competitive performance-based salary scale and reward system that aligns with that of the prevailing market rates and ‘same level’ organizations (budget size, sector etc.) as well supports ZIPAR’s Staff Performance Assessment System.
• Ensure internal equity and external competitiveness of the ZIPAR staff remuneration.
3. Scope and Specific Objectives of the Consultancy
Based on discussions with ZIPAR team and Management, the selected individual or firm shall review existing conditions of service and undertake a salary survey. This will involve the following:
• Compile and suggest to ZIPAR a list of employers which may be considered as comparators, for the purpose of establishing a staff salary scale and provide an explanation of why those market comparisons were chosen. The list shall be subjected to final approval by ZIPAR Executive Director;
• Conduct a job evaluation/analysis exercise on the duties, responsibilities, necessary skills, outcomes, and the required work environment.
• Carry out a survey to compare ZIPAR’s conditions of service and remuneration levels with comparators;
• Suggest a consistent approach for the determination and management of relativities between jobs;
• Suggest the basis for developing an equitable pay structure across ZIPAR based on a logical method of measuring relative job scope and size and best practice;
• Presentation and submission of a final survey findings with comparison and analysis of the survey results and recommendations related to remuneration packages;
• Make proposals for adjusting current salary scale / remuneration levels and a corresponding implementation plan;
• Recommend an appropriate bonus system for the Institute.
• Support an effective communication and change management throughout the process;
The individual or firm shall maintain complete confidentiality of all data and documents provided by selected comparator employers and by that of ZIPAR.
4. Selection Criteria
The firm should be able to provide the following:
a) Current company certificate of incorporation/registration;
b) Proof of statutory compliance including tax in the country of incorporation/registration;
c) Litigation status; and
d) Financial statement for the last 3 years
A. The firm should demonstrate;
• Minimum experience of 5 years in providing similar services;
B. Competence of Team Members:
• Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in fields related to human resource management, statistics and related fields;
• Proven track record in the area of compensation and benefit analysis, including for comparable international organizations for at least five years;
• Experience in the field of human resource management and experience in undertaking salary surveys for at least five years;
• Familiarity with labour market issues for at least five years and knowledge of the Employment Code Act of 2019;
• Ability to render consulting services in the most professional, effective and efficient manner.
• Fluent in English.
• Excellent writing and presentation skills.
C. Evaluation Process and Next Steps
Consultants will be selected in accordance with the Zambia Public Procurement Regulations of 2011.
Successfully selected firms will be requested to submit preliminary Technical and Financial Proposals on which final selection will be conducted.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Sealed hard copy submissions clearly marked “ Expression of Interest for consultancy to provide the job evaluation and review of ZIPAR conditions of service ” must be addressed to:
The Executive Director
Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research
CSO Annex Building,
Corner of John Mbita and Nationalist Road
P.O. Box 50782
The submissions must be delivered, deposited in a tender box and signed for by Wednesday 9th September, 2021 before 10:00 CAT at the reception of Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research.
For any enquiries regarding the terms of reference, contact the Finance and Administration Manager. Tel: (260) 211 252559
Or Email: [email protected] ; [email protected]