Jobs at:Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)
Deadline of this Job:
18 September 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Friday, September 03, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
COMESA Institutional Capacity Building Programme (ICBP)
The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) Secretariat and the European Union (EU) have signed a Financing Agreement amounting to €7million for the COMESA Institutional Capacity Building Programme (ICBP).
The ICBP is a five (5) year programme that aims to enhance effectiveness and efficiency of COMESA Secretariat in implementation of regional cooperation projects and engagement with its stakeholders. The overall objective of the programme is to deepen regional integration in the COMESA region. The activities under the programme will focus on the areas identified as most critical as a result of the institutional capacity assessment study carried out to inform the preparation of this action.
The program integrates four key result areas which will be implemented with sub result areas as follows:
Result 1: Improved monitoring and evaluation capacities for implementation of regional commitments at regional and national level, including in terms of gender mainstreaming.
Result 2: Improved COMESA financial, audit and internal control processes in line with international standards and with the recommendations expected from the anticipated 9 pillar assessment.
Sub result 2.1: Procurement processes strengthened/ improved:
Sub result 2.2. Financial management strengthened/ improved.
Sub result 2.3: Audits and internal control systems Strengthened/improved.
Result 3: Strengthened ability to produce and disseminate regional statistics in line with the COMESA Statistics Strategy ensuring harmonisation and gender responsiveness. Result 4: Strengthened partnership, dialogue, and communication on COMESA regional integration policies with COMESA Member States, COMESA institutions, key public and private stakeholders as well as with the EU and its Member States
Sub result area 4.1: Communication and visibility
Sub result area 4.2: Ensure partnership and multi-stakeholder dialogue.
The ultimate beneficiaries of this action are the citizens of the COMESA region. The COMESA Secretariat is the direct beneficiary of the EU support through this action. Other stakeholders which will benefit and will be involved in a more effective Secretariat resulting from this action such as the COMESA Member States, which are responsible for domestication and implementation of regional policies and programmes; Member States sectorial ministries such as ministries of economy, trade, finance, commerce and industry, SMEs, tourism, youth, employment and gender, COMESA institutions, service providers, such as cross-border transporters and clearing and forwarding agencies, port and maritime authorities in the transport and logistics industry; business and professional associations, research institutes, universities and other academia and Civil Society Organisations representing the young, women and groups of people living in vulnerable situations who are expected to engage in dialogue/partnership with COMESA, among others.
An umbrella EDF Management Unit based at the COMESA Secretariat, under the responsibility of the Assistant Secretaries General for Programmes and Finance and Administration will oversee the implementation of the EDF funded Institutional Capacity Building Programme at the Secretariat.
The following staff as described in the job descriptions below will be engaged and supported by short-term experts where needed.
The positions will be filled pending funding from the European Union:
Job Title: Programme Officer
Grade: Professional Level (P2)
Salary: Euro 57,816 p.a- all inclusive
programme: 11 EDF COMESA Institutional Capacity Building Programme
Duty Station: COMESA Secretariat, Lusaka, Zambia
Contract Duration: From date of signature of the contract up to the end of the programme duration, which is expected to end in December 2027.
Reporting to: EDF Programme Manager
Scope of Work
The overall responsibility of this position is to support the EDF Programme Management unit, under the supervision of the EDF Programme Manager, to support the facilitation of the timely and quality reporting, monitoring implementation, working in collaboration with all divisions and units and supporting the adherence to the contractual obligations of the relevant EU funded programmes.
Specific Tasks/Key Responsibilities
• Support the development and updating programme annual work plans and annual reports in line with the respectful EU funded Contribution Agreement.
• Support divisions and units to manage all aspects of the project cycle including planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation and working with partners to identify needs for technical support,
• Support all project documentation and reports and ensure they are made available in a timely and accessible manner.
• Assist the Programme Manager to compile the quarterly and annual reports through Programme Portal and the Annual country strategic plan progress,
• Assist in the preparation of budgets and forecasts for the EDF programmes,
• In collaboration with the Programme Manager and the Finance expert, monitor expenditure of project financial resources and liaise where necessary,
• Consolidate and keep track of aide memoires and activity budgets submitted by relevant stakeholders,
• In consultation with Procurement unit, follow up, keep track and report on on various procurement activities in process for executive decision,
• Follow up with other partners any actions arising from audits carried out by the finance officer or by external auditors.
• Minimum Degree in Relevant Field (Project Management, Business Management, Development Studies
• Minimum of 6 Years working experience, ideally in a donor funded organisation and
• Regional Economic Community
• Experience of all aspects of project management
• Use of standard desktop operational software applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) desirable.
• Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
• Ability to understand and work with project budgets, forecasts, and reporting templates
Working Language Requirements
• Must be fluent in English and/or French and/or Arabic (speaking and writing). A combination of any two or all these languages will be an added advantage.
Eligibility for Application
Applicants must be nationals of EU, ACP, and COMESA Member States and not more than 55 years of age at the time of submitting the application.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Applications MUST be submitted electronically through email on the prescribed COMESA APPLICATION FORM which can be accessed at the following COMESA website: http://www.comesa.int/ , Opportunities, COMESA Job Application Format.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application should reach the address below not later than 18th September 2021 .at 18:00 hours Lusaka, Zambia time.
The Director of Human Resources and Administration
Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa
Ben Bella Road,
P.O Box 30051,
Email: [email protected]