Local Impact Overview
The five-year (2020-2025) USAID Local Impact Governance Activity (Local Impact) is helping Zambia build up a sub-national system of governance for devolved service delivery more responsive to citizen needs. The program is engaging national and sub-national authorities to expand the capabilities of district-level governance bodies to deliver sustainable development outcomes, increase effective citizen and private-sector involvement in development planning and monitoring, and improve public financial management and domestic revenue generation (through property rates, local fees and charges from licenses, levies, permits and other local sources).
The activity has three objectives:
- Objective 1: Citizens improve their collective skills to effectively assess service-delivery needs and performance and constructively engage with government.
- Objective 2: The sub-national governance system becomes more responsive to citizen needs, generates, and accountably expends revenue, and improves service-delivery outcomes.
- Objective 3: The program generates learning and facilitates problem solving that supports the development of an effective, financially viable sub-national governance system for devolved services, capable of being scaled up throughout Zambia.
Subnational Revenue Generation:
Local Impact is currently accepting applications from candidates that have subnational tax and non-tax revenue mobilization expertise, preferably with previous experience working on internationally donor funded projects, and that possess at least 8 years of experience in one or more of the following areas are encouraged to apply:
- Tax and non-tax policy design within an intergovernmental framework with demonstrated knowledge and experience in tax and non-tax policy analysis, and policy formulation, including but not limited to the analysis of legal/policy/institutional frameworks, policy formulation within the intergovernmental framework and revenue decentralization, quantitative analysis of policy options, analysis of revenue performance, and benchmarking methodologies.
- Subnational tax compliance and revenue administration with demonstrated knowledge and experience working with local revenue administration authorities, models and options for reform, with a focus on improving revenue generation of tax and non-tax revenue through enhanced internal organization, processes and procedures, and innovation in core functions (such as registration, record keeping, valuation, collections, enforcement and appeals, etc). Experience with property rates administration preferred. Regional experience welcome.
- These positions will be short-term consultancies that focus on desk and field research (including data collection and analysis) for district-level assessments focusing on resource mobilization.
Please for not apply if you do not meet the minimum Qualifications Below
- At least 8 years of technical experience in the relevant areas
- Experience working in international development programs in one or more areas listed above preferred. USAID experience highly preferred
- Demonstrated experience working with government counterparts in Zambia, particularly at the local level. Regional experience welcome;
- Higher degree in related field (Bachelor’s or equivalent required, Master’s highly preferred);
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including professional fluency in English; and
- Legally resident in Zambia.
- Apply to the email below only.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone inquiries, please.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: