Jobs at:Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
Deadline of this Job:
14 April 2022
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is a body corporate established under the repealed Securities Act, Cap. 354 of the Laws of Zambia and whose existence is continued under the new Securities Act, No. 41 of 2016. SEC has the objective of inter alia regulating and developing the Zambian Capital Markets and is responsible for the supervision and development of the Capital Markets in Zambia as well as the licensing of financial intermediaries, collective investment schemes and securities exchanges, the registration of securities to be issued such as debt and equity instruments, and the authorization of transactions in entities registered with SEC.
SEC now seeks to recruit qualified Zambians to fill the following positions:
Job Title: Legal Officer (X1)
Reporting: Manager-Enforcement and Law Reforms
To provide support to the Directorate of Enforcement and Legal Services in matters relating to enforcement of the Securities Act, and the broader Law of the land to protect Investors and the market, and management of the legal reform process, including introduction of new legislative measures in the Zambian Capital Markets. To assist in provision of professional legal advice and counsel to the SEC management and the Board and of efficient and effective legal services to the Commission
Key Result Areas and Accountabilities
• Enforcement: Investigates all cases of infringement of the Securities Law and recommends appropriate enforcement action; Receives complaints from the market, conducts the necessary investigations and recommends appropriate remedial action; Gathers information from public sources and receives market surveillance and intelligence reports, and carries out necessary investigations before recommending any appropriate enforcement action; Works with investigative wings of the country in investigating cases of Infringement of the Securities Law, and regulations;
• Establishes and utilizes frameworks for liaising with other law enforcement agencies
• Legal interpretation: assists in interpreting key statutes such as the Securities Act, Regulations, and other pieces of key legislation, which have a bearing in carrying out the SEC Mandate to ensure regulatory and other activities are carried out with confidence by the Commission; Obtains opinions or guidance from the Attorney General or other services on important issues of law, when so directed.
• Legal Drafting: Under the direction of the Director-Enforcement and Legal Services, drafts and peruses legal documents, regulatory Instruments, contracts and agreements, pleadings, affidavits, deeds, leases, and applications of diverse to safeguard the Commission's interests and ensure that they are efficiently and effectively executed.
• Litigation: Undertakes litigation on behalf of the Commission (under the direction of the Director Enforcement and Legal Services, including those arising out of disputes between the Commission and Capital Market players as well as other entities and persons the Commission deals with; Undertakes research on existing and potential litigation as referred as well as general legal research.
• Legal Reforms: Works with the Director-Enforcement and Legal Services to identify potential changes to the Securities Law and manages the legal reform process and the introduction of new legislative measures in the Zambian Capital Markets Harmonize the process of the Zambian Capital Markets legislation with local, regional, and international legislation and ensures that the legislation is in line with the best international practice.
• Reports: Prepares monthly, quarterly, and departmental reports and submits them to the supervisor as scheduled.
Required Competencies/Personal Qualities:
• Extensive knowledge and understanding of the Securities Law
• Ability to identify potential changes in the law
• Good organizational and supervisory skills
• Ability to provide legal advice on securities and exchange matters and deal with issues arising in the Commission initiatives and activities
• Knowledge of procedures and practices used in the conduct of civil litigation, judicial procedures, and rules of evidence
• Good soliciting and arbitration experience
• Strong interpersonal and negotiating skills
• High level of integrity and confidentiality
• Good Communication skills both written and oral
• Basic computer skills (Word processing, spreadsheets, and internet)
• Competence in legislative drafting is an added advantage.
• High level of analytical ability
• Grade 12 School Certificate
• Bachelor of Laws Degree (LLB)
• Advocate of the High Court of Zambia with at least three years standing
• Member of LAZ with at least 3 years post qualification experience
Minimum relevant work experience.
• A minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Applications accompanied by copies of certificates, detailed curriculum vitae (CV), and daytime contact telephone numbers and three (3) traceable references should reach the undersigned not later than 14th April 2022, the envelope indicating the relevant position applied for.
The Chief Executive Officer
Securities & Exchange Commission
Plot 3827 Parliament Road, Olympia
P.O. Box 35165