MISA Zambia seeks to fill some research positions under a project, Strengthening Free and Independent Media for the 2021 Electoral Cycle . The project will be implemented with support from the BBC Media Action and with financial support from the European Union (EU).
Lead Researcher – x1
Duration : 8 Months (March to October 2021)
Location : Lusaka
Deadline : Monday, 2nd February 2021
Background to the Project
Media has long been recognized as a cornerstone of democracy and a contributor to free and fair elections. It aids informed voting among citizens because it serves as a platform for information access and political discourse during elections. Media which publishes ethical content that is fair, balanced and truthful among others, fosters not only informed voting but transparency which in turn strengthens democracy and facilitates free and fair elections in which electorates well informed in a free manner. Media monitoring will be done in different intervals within the electoral cycle. It will be based on carefully selected media outlets across the country.
The LEAD RESEARCHER will;
- Lead the development of a media content monitoring framework
- Develop a data entry and analysis tool,
- Develop an appropriate report format that will capture the essence of media’s reportage of the electoral cycle in Zambia,
- Orient and supervise research assistants in use of the data entry and monitoring tools;
- Produce bimonthly and one consolidated report that are analytical detailing coverage of the electoral cycle by the media in Zambia;
- Plan and execute dissemination activities for the compiled report,
- Develop strategies for addressing shortcomings or challenges that may impede media’s role in the electoral process.
Qualifications and Abilities.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in any relevant social science studies from a recognized university. A Master’s degree in a relevant field will be an added advantage,
- Minimum of five years of experience in research methods and statistical analysis with a bias in the media
- Knowledge of media laws in Zambia that guide the practice of journalism, including during elections,
- Knowledge of media ethics
- Knowledge working with media and media associations is an asset,
- Working knowledge of statistical analysis packages and presentation packages like SPSS or PowerPoint is required,
- Able to effectively interact with co-workers and different stakeholders,
- Able to perform independently and as part of a team to meet deadlines and objectives of the project,
- Able to speak articulately and confidently to diverse and varying sizes of audiences,
- Able to write clearly and concisely,
- Able to plan, implement and evaluate impact/outcomes of the project,
- Innovative and self-driven, and
- Able to organize publicity events
All applications will be by email. Please clearly indicate in the subject line the position you are applying for. Motivation letter and curriculum vitae should be in one email or better still as one document. Please make sure that you have at least two traceable referees. At this point, do not attach any academic or professional certificates. Email to [email protected] and [email protected] Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The National Director
Tel: +260 211 294285 /6
Deadline for submission of applications: 2nd February 2021
Women are encouraged to apply
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]