Jobs at:Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)
Deadline of this Job:
18 September 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Friday, September 03, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
COMESA Institutional Capacity Building Programme (ICBP)
The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) Secretariat and the European Union (EU) have signed a Financing Agreement amounting to €7million for the COMESA Institutional Capacity Building Programme (ICBP).
The ICBP is a five (5) year programme that aims to enhance effectiveness and efficiency of COMESA Secretariat in implementation of regional cooperation projects and engagement with its stakeholders. The overall objective of the programme is to deepen regional integration in the COMESA region. The activities under the programme will focus on the areas identified as most critical as a result of the institutional capacity assessment study carried out to inform the preparation of this action.
The program integrates four key result areas which will be implemented with sub result areas as follows:
Result 1: Improved monitoring and evaluation capacities for implementation of regional commitments at regional and national level, including in terms of gender mainstreaming.
Result 2: Improved COMESA financial, audit and internal control processes in line with international standards and with the recommendations expected from the anticipated 9 pillar assessment.
Sub result 2.1: Procurement processes strengthened/ improved:
Sub result 2.2. Financial management strengthened/ improved.
Sub result 2.3: Audits and internal control systems Strengthened/improved.
Result 3: Strengthened ability to produce and disseminate regional statistics in line with the COMESA Statistics Strategy ensuring harmonisation and gender responsiveness. Result 4: Strengthened partnership, dialogue, and communication on COMESA regional integration policies with COMESA Member States, COMESA institutions, key public and private stakeholders as well as with the EU and its Member States
Sub result area 4.1: Communication and visibility
Sub result area 4.2: Ensure partnership and multi-stakeholder dialogue.
The ultimate beneficiaries of this action are the citizens of the COMESA region. The COMESA Secretariat is the direct beneficiary of the EU support through this action. Other stakeholders which will benefit and will be involved in a more effective Secretariat resulting from this action such as the COMESA Member States, which are responsible for domestication and implementation of regional policies and programmes; Member States sectorial ministries such as ministries of economy, trade, finance, commerce and industry, SMEs, tourism, youth, employment and gender, COMESA institutions, service providers, such as cross-border transporters and clearing and forwarding agencies, port and maritime authorities in the transport and logistics industry; business and professional associations, research institutes, universities and other academia and Civil Society Organisations representing the young, women and groups of people living in vulnerable situations who are expected to engage in dialogue/partnership with COMESA, among others.
An umbrella EDF Management Unit based at the COMESA Secretariat, under the responsibility of the Assistant Secretaries General for Programmes and Finance and Administration will oversee the implementation of the EDF funded Institutional Capacity Building Programme at the Secretariat.
The following staff as described in the job descriptions below will be engaged and supported by short-term experts where needed.
The positions will be filled pending funding from the European Union:
Job Title: Internal Auditor
Grade: Professional Level (P2)
Salary: Euro 57,816 p.a-all inclusive
Duty Station: Lusaka, Zambia
Programme: 11 EDF COMESA Institutional Capacity Building Programme
Contract Duration: From date of signature of the contract up to the end of the programme duration, which is expected to end in December 2027.
Reporting to: Chief Internal Auditor
Scope of Work
The Internal Auditor will be recruited for the purpose of strengthening COMESA internal Audit capacity. Under the direct supervision of the Chief Internal Auditor of COMESA, the Internal Auditor will be primarily responsible for the audit of accounts funded by the European Union under the 11 EDF programmes. In addition, the Internal Auditor, as part of the COMESA internal audit team, will be responsible for undertaking systems, compliance and transaction audits of the COMESA Secretariat and its institutions, with strong focus on the EDF programmes. Other responsibilities will include enhancement of the internal control, governance and risks management systems; ensuring that the Secretariat and its institutions adheres to the Cooperating Partner agreements/Contribution Agreements entered into and ensuring adherence to relevant approved reporting standards.
Under the COMESA Institutional Capacity Building Programme, the internal auditor will specifically lead the review of implementation of all the 11 EDF Programmes to verify that the funds have been utilized in an efficient and economical manner in line with the EDF contribution Agreement and other programme documents so as to provide assurance on the following:
• Adequacy and effectiveness of the financial management and internal control framework of the Secretariat.
• Compliance with the financial covenants and the programmes Finance and Procurement Manuals.
Specific Tasks/Key Responsibilities
• Assess the adequacy of financial management systems, including internal controls. This would include aspects such as adequacy and effectiveness of accounting, financial and operational controls exercised by the project implementing unit, if any.
• undertaking of value for money/performance/impact audits COMESA Secretariat, Institutions and EDF programmes
• Conduct due diligence work (fact finding assignments)
• Ensuring that generally accepted Accounting Principles are followed by all entities that are authorized to incur expenditure under the 11 EDF.
• An assessment of efficiency and timeliness of funds flow and reporting based on the interim Financial Reports submitted on the utilization and implementation of EDF project activities.
• An assessment of the adequacy of financial and administrative delegation and segregation of duties and controls. Assessing expenditures incurred/advances provided are duly authorized as per the financial and administrative delegation approved by the responsible Officer.
• Checking compliance with the financial norms prescribed in the EU framework, General conditions, Contribution agreements or any other clarifications issued from time to time.
• Ensuring that expenditure incurred with reference to the budget allocation have been approved by the European Union. In case the budget allocation is exceeded, proper re-appropriation duly approved by the competent authority has been obtained.
• Checking that adequate and proper supporting documents, namely, purchase orders, tender documents, invoices, vouchers, receipts etc. are maintained
• Ensure completeness, existence, recording, safeguard, and utilization for the purpose intended including, physical verification of sample of assets.
• Identify constraints, if any, in adhering to the internal control procedures
• Prepare schedules of audit activities pertaining to the approved annual work programme.
• Prepare Audit programmes for the schedules of audit activities to be undertaken.
• Carry out the audit work as outlined in the audit programmes.
• Ensure efficient and effective execution of audit work to enable timely completion of
• Recommend areas in which controls could be enhanced in all systems.
• Liaise with external auditors and follow up on audit queries in collaboration with the Finance Division.
• Monitor and report on the effectiveness of the internal control environment, including quality compliance, on management of budgetary and extra budgetary resources.
• Conduct special purpose audits from time to time as directed by the Chief Internal Auditor.
• Conduct value for money audits on all EDF programmes being implemented at the secretariat.
• Review, appraise and report upon the extent to which the Institutional assets are accounted for and safeguarded against losses arising from fraud, waste, extravagance and inefficient administration.
• Assist COMESA to implement an Enterprise Risk Management System.
• Conduct financial systems assessment and audit that impact on COMESA.
• Conduct periodic reviews of the internal control system and advise on controls to be incorporated into the systems and procedures of the organisation.
• Initiate, review and regularly update audit policies and systems.
• Review disbursement transactions by verifying their compliance with relevant legislations and administrative decisions.
• Audit the payroll by verifying the accuracy of staff emoluments.
• Any other related duties that may be assigned by his/her superiors from time to time.
• Minimum Education Qualification: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, and,
• A professional accounting qualification such as ACCA, CPA, CIMA, CIPFA, or ACA.
• Five (5) years’ experience in an auditing environment. Experience working for donor funded project will be an added advantage
• Good strategic analysis skills.
• Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Good planning, organizational, communication and reporting skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and to operate effectively as part of a team.
• Conversant with key accounting packages and Assisted Auditing Techniques.
Working Language Requirements
• Must be fluent in English and/or French and/or Arabic (speaking and writing). A combination of any two or all these languages will be an added advantage.
Eligibility for Application
Applicants must be nationals of EU, ACP, and COMESA Member States and not more than 55 years of age at the time of submitting the application.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Applications MUST be submitted electronically through email on the prescribed COMESA APPLICATION FORM which can be accessed at the following COMESA website: http://www.comesa.int/ , Opportunities, COMESA Job Application Format.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application should reach the address below not later than 18th September 2021 .at 18:00 hours Lusaka, Zambia time.
The Director of Human Resources and Administration
Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa
Ben Bella Road,
P.O Box 30051,
Email: [email protected]