- Company: First Quantum Minerals
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Zambia
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
- Provide technical support to shift metallurgist and plant operations by collection of plant data and measurements,
- Implementing and applying thought solutions to achieve and exceed plant KPI’s of safety, milling rate, throughput, recovery, concentrate grade, efficiency and costs
Specific Job Responsibility
- Provide technical support to shift Metallurgist and plant operations.
- Collect data through control systems historians and sampling to make ad-hoc decisions.
- Coordinate plant and/or lab testwork aimed at optimizing the operation in terms of safety, cost and performance.
- Long term analysis and optimisation of flotation operating strategy.
- Provide sound reporting on plant operations and improvement projects.
- Assess opportunities for improvement and drive their implementation.
- Work as intermediate between shift Metallurgist and Metallurgical lab.
Job Specific Competencies
- Strong understanding of complex metallurgical information, process improvement and control strategies
- Good cognitive and analytical skills for identifying process shortfalls, bottlenecks and implementing metallurgical testing
- Affinity to supervise technical research, direct and train metallurgical engineers and technicians
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction
Key Job Attributes
- Good leadership and motivational skills, and get work done through others;
- Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability;
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment
- Be enthusiastic and pro-active in manner;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Experience required to perform in this job
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in mineral processing plants, preferred as a metallurgist.
- Preferred copper sulphide flotation, large plant, and modern and automated process exposure.
- Holder of a diploma in Mineral Processing, Chemical Engineering or related. A degree in similar fields is preferred.
- Holder of a diploma in Mineral Processing, Chemical Engineering or related.
- A degree in similar fields is preferred