Jobs at:Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)
Deadline of this Job:
18 September 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Friday, September 03, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
COMESA Institutional Capacity Building Programme (ICBP)
The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) Secretariat and the European Union (EU) have signed a Financing Agreement amounting to €7million for the COMESA Institutional Capacity Building Programme (ICBP).
The ICBP is a five (5) year programme that aims to enhance effectiveness and efficiency of COMESA Secretariat in implementation of regional cooperation projects and engagement with its stakeholders. The overall objective of the programme is to deepen regional integration in the COMESA region. The activities under the programme will focus on the areas identified as most critical as a result of the institutional capacity assessment study carried out to inform the preparation of this action.
The program integrates four key result areas which will be implemented with sub result areas as follows:
Result 1: Improved monitoring and evaluation capacities for implementation of regional commitments at regional and national level, including in terms of gender mainstreaming.
Result 2: Improved COMESA financial, audit and internal control processes in line with international standards and with the recommendations expected from the anticipated 9 pillar assessment.
Sub result 2.1: Procurement processes strengthened/ improved:
Sub result 2.2. Financial management strengthened/ improved.
Sub result 2.3: Audits and internal control systems Strengthened/improved.
Result 3: Strengthened ability to produce and disseminate regional statistics in line with the COMESA Statistics Strategy ensuring harmonisation and gender responsiveness. Result 4: Strengthened partnership, dialogue, and communication on COMESA regional integration policies with COMESA Member States, COMESA institutions, key public and private stakeholders as well as with the EU and its Member States
Sub result area 4.1: Communication and visibility
Sub result area 4.2: Ensure partnership and multi-stakeholder dialogue.
The ultimate beneficiaries of this action are the citizens of the COMESA region. The COMESA Secretariat is the direct beneficiary of the EU support through this action. Other stakeholders which will benefit and will be involved in a more effective Secretariat resulting from this action such as the COMESA Member States, which are responsible for domestication and implementation of regional policies and programmes; Member States sectorial ministries such as ministries of economy, trade, finance, commerce and industry, SMEs, tourism, youth, employment and gender, COMESA institutions, service providers, such as cross-border transporters and clearing and forwarding agencies, port and maritime authorities in the transport and logistics industry; business and professional associations, research institutes, universities and other academia and Civil Society Organisations representing the young, women and groups of people living in vulnerable situations who are expected to engage in dialogue/partnership with COMESA, among others.
An umbrella EDF Management Unit based at the COMESA Secretariat, under the responsibility of the Assistant Secretaries General for Programmes and Finance and Administration will oversee the implementation of the EDF funded Institutional Capacity Building Programme at the Secretariat.
The following staff as described in the job descriptions below will be engaged and supported by short-term experts where needed.
The positions will be filled pending funding from the European Union:
Job Title: Economic Statistician
Grade: Professional Level (P3)
Salary: Euro 61,200 p.a- all inclusive
Programme: 11 EDF COMESA Institutional Capacity Building Programme
Duty Station: Statistics unit, COMESA Secretariat, Lusaka, Zambia
Contract Duration: From date of signature of the contract up to the end of the programme duration, which is expected to end in December 2027.
Reporting to: Head of Statistics unit
Scope of Work
The overall responsibility of this position to provide technical support in the development and implementation of economic statistical programs pertaining to (national accounts, trade in services statistics and other balance of payments statistics, price statistics and the International Comparison Programmes, industrial & business statistics and monetary and financial statistics and labour migration statistics) that supports the current and future needs of COMESA Treaty and MTSP objectives
Specific Tasks/Key Responsibilities
• Provide technical support in Member states on the implementation of economic statistics programs in Member States to ensure programmes are implemented within the context of the COMESA Statistics Strategy and related MTSP Strategic Objectives
• Provide and coordinate statistical technical advice to COMESA operations Divisions and COMESA Institutions in order to support economic policy related work and in designing monitoring and evaluation systems.
• Undertake and coordinate statistical capacity building work in Member states to generating quality, reliable and timely national accounts, trade in services statistics and other balance of payments statistics, price statistics and the International Comparison Program, industrial & business statistics and monetary and financial statistics and labour migration statistics and related gender statistics.
• Ensure that datasets on national accounts, trade in services statistics and other balance of payments statistics, price statistics and the International Comparison Program, industrial & business statistics and monetary and financial statistics and labour migration statistics are useable and consistent and continually updated on COMSTAT.
• Contribute to the publication of statistical knowledge products related to economic statistics
• This includes COMESA’s annual International Trade Statistics Bulletin, the COMESA Investment Report, the COMESA monthly Harmonized Consumer Price Index
• Contribute to the work of relevant Statistical Technical Groups (STGs) on national accounts, Trade in services statistics and other balance of payments statistics, price statistics and the International Comparison Program, industrial & business statistics and monetary and financial statistics and labour migration and gender statistics at AUC level.
• Develop statistical sub programs for COMESA Divisions and COMESA Institutions that are developing larger regional integration programs.
• Develop project/ research proposals on economic statistics topics relevant to the COMESA integration program.
• Submits work plans and budget inputs for economic statistics component of the Unit’s annual work plans to secure approval for resources required to implement statistical programmes in line with unit mandate.
• Performs other job-related duties as directed by Head of unit to achieve COMESA’s statistical mandate.
• Minimum Master's Degree in Statistics, Economics, or a related field with a strong background in Quantitative Methods.
• Any other postgraduate qualification in Statistics/Economics or related field is an added advantage.
• Core experience in national accounts and price statistics
• Minimum eight (8) years of relevant working experience in an economic statistics environment
• Demonstrated experience in working with government partners and other stakeholders in public sector development programs, especially in economic statistical development
• Short term specialized training in economic Statistics desirable.
• Specialized Knowledge in Information and Communications Technology in applying Statistical Methods, including Multivariate Analysis, Survey Analysis, Econometric Modelling through use of Statistical Computer Programs (STATA, R, SPSS, SAS etc.) is essential.
• Standard desktop operational software applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) are desirable. vii. Strong team working, communication (including data analysis, statistical report writing) and interpersonal skills. viii. Strong facilitation, training, and presentation skills as well as experience in organizing seminars and workshops.
• Strong report writing skills
Working Language Requirements
• Must be fluent in English and/or French and/or Arabic (speaking and writing). A combination of any two or all these languages will be an added advantage.
Eligibility for Application
Applicants must be nationals of EU, ACP, and COMESA Member States and not more than 55 years of age at the time of submitting the application.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Applications MUST be submitted electronically through email on the prescribed COMESA APPLICATION FORM which can be accessed at the following COMESA website: http://www.comesa.int/ , Opportunities, COMESA Job Application Format.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application should reach the address below not later than 18th September 2021 .at 18:00 hours Lusaka, Zambia time.
The Director of Human Resources and Administration
Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa
Ben Bella Road,
P.O Box 30051,
Email: [email protected]