Reports to: Managing Director/Board of Directors
The Chief Legal Officer/ Board Secretary will provide sound and robust legal and Board secretarial services to the Bank in order to achieve the Bank’s set objectives.
SUMMARY OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advise and diligently represent the Bank in courts and before government agencies and other regulatory agencies;
- Ensure regulatory compliance and provide appropriate legal advice to the Bank;
- Conduct research and analysis of the Bank’s legal issues and provide well-informed legal advice to management and the Board;
- Prepare and timely file legal documents (e.g., suits, appeals, contracts, deeds) and ensure proper and safe custody of the Bank’s legal documents, rulings, contracts, and deeds among others;
- Monitor and advise the Bank on new legislation, amendments, and enactments of the Law as they affect the Bank;
- Provide timely company secretarial services to the Board of Directors and relevant committees of the Board.
- Provide guidance and advice to management and the Board on matters of corporate governance;
- Induct and guide the Board of Directors;
- Facilitate good communication amongst the Board, its Committees and Bank management;
- Draft and or review, negotiate, and finalize legal documentation to ensure compliance with Bank policies and practice as well as applicable laws;
- Prepare, perfect and register securities and conveyance matters, to protect the Bank’s interest;
- Supervise and facilitate appropriate training for the Legal Department and setting of performance standards and measurements;
- Carry out any other duties as assigned by the Managing Director.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Grade 12 School Certificate with 5 “O” levels, and credits or better in English and Mathematics.
- Bachelor of Laws Degree.
- Master of Laws Degree in commercial-related subjects.
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court and Supreme Court of Zambia.
- Must be a member of the Law Association of Zambia with a valid practicing certificate.
- Ten (10) years post qualifying experience as an Advocate of the High Court of Zambia.
- Experience at Senior Management level.
- Experience as a Company Secretary is desirable.
Interested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications should submit application letters, enclosing their curriculum vitae and certified copies of their certificates to: The Managing Director, Development Bank of Zambia, P.O Box 33955, Lusaka. The closing date for receiving applications is 8th January 2021, and envelopes should be clearly marked with the position being applied for.
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]