About the Chief Financial Officer
FirstWave Group is Africa’s leading producer of tilapia and is growing rapidly. We need a CFO to guide our financial systems and manage the financial resources required to continue fueling our growth across the region. We’re searching for an experienced CFO to join a team of high-performing professionals to help keep our finances insightful and instrumental to our continued success. The CFO will have both a day-to-day and ongoing impact on company operations, helping us to analyze, strategize, and grow our financial position. This seasoned strategist not only understands current accounting practices and trends, but has proven experience restructuring and raising capital, and adapting to change–both in growth and capital allocation requirements. As a member of our senior leadership team, he or she will be comfortable in a leadership role that demands clear communication and presentation skills engaging both the executive team as well as the group board and internal and external financial stakeholders.
- Lead capital raising for the group and its subsidiaries, positioning the business to grow and scale in new and existing geographies.
- Optimize capital structure by conducting analyses, developing recommendations for board discussion, and preparing and executing plans against recommendations.
- Serve as the chief financial spokesperson in investor and stakeholder management.
- Responsible for all cash management, investments, insurance, budgeting, and financial reporting, helping to drive the company’s financial strategy and hiring needs.
- Ensure cash flow is compatible with company operations, by overseeing the day-to-day accounting, recording, reporting, and internal control activities of the organization.
- Coordinate the development of the annual operating, capital, and program budgets, and reporting against the same.
- Lead the development and use of best-practice policies, practices, and tools that ensure a well-controlled yet flexible organization with strong fiscal management, project management, cross-team communications, and workflow.
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Work with the senior management across the group companies to efficiently develop proposal budgets, provide access to project finance information, and manage contract/grant compliance and reporting. This includes:
Budgeting and forecasting (for holding entities and coordination of operating companies)
Reporting on a stand-alone and consolidated basis (M/Q/Y), externally and internally
Guiding operating companies in the execution of the planning and control cycle
Financial modeling of operating companies and the group
Responsible for tax matters, including transfer pricing
Contact with external advisors (auditors, tax)
Management of projects, e.g. regarding fundraise / due diligence / innovation / control
- Research revenue opportunities and economic trends, analyze internal operations, identify areas of cost reduction and process enhancement.
- Perform risk management through analysis of company liabilities and investments and evaluate and manage capital structure and fundraising initiatives.
- Oversee IT and the Data & Analytics function as a shared service and supervise coordination with external service and platform providers (management and information systems)
- Monitor performance with tracking, establish corrective measures as needed, and prepare detailed reports, both current and forecasting for investor calls, the management team, and the rest of the company.
- Manage finance personnel and oversee financial IT systems, ensuring compliance with all applicable Financial Accounting Standards Board, Internal Revenue Service, State Attorney General, and other relevant regulations.
This role is based in Lusaka, Zambia with travel in Southern and East Africa.
Immediate start ideal but candidates should be available no later than June of 2021
Remuneration: Compensation is competitive and will depend on the applicant’s background and experience. The Gross package will include salary, benefits, and performance-related bonuses.
About The Candidate (Qualifications/Selection Criteria)
- Master’s degree in accounting, business accounting, or finance from a leading global institution.
- 10+ years experience in finance leadership positions.
- Leadership skills, with steadfast resolve and personal integrity.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and visual communication skills.
- Understanding of advanced accounting, regulatory issues, and tax planning.
- Working knowledge of raising capital beyond traditional lines of credit as well as experience managing institutional investors and/or corporate stakeholders within a global multi-national.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including experience leading large teams, managing multiple direct reports, and forming key relationships.
- Experience coordinating between various functions of a business, including production, commercial, projects, and administrative units.
- International or cross-cultural experience, preferably with experience in emerging markets (experience in sub-Saharan Africa is a plus).
- Experience with corporate finance and investor relations.
- Executive experience with industrial and FMCG models and growth-stage companies is strongly preferred.
For more information or to apply for the position, please email [email protected] including a resume and statement of interest that highlights your interest in our mission and illustrates how your skill and knowledge will fit the job specification. Applications must be submitted by 15th April 2021.
To apply for this job email your details to