The Zambia Red Cross Society (ZRCS) is a humanitarian Organization established in 1966 by an act of Parliament CAP 307 of the laws of Zambia as an auxiliary institution that augments government in developmental works and humanitarian assistance. ZRCS is part of the International Red Cross Movement known as International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescents (IFRC/RC). In line with its 2017-2020 strategic objectives, the National Society seeks to enhance provision and access to quality health and social services to vulnerable people across the country in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and other Stakeholders.
Over the years, ZRCS has been part of key actors augmenting government’s efforts in cholera preparedness and response. The National Society is currently working to strengthen Cholera Preparedness in Nsama (Nsumbu) and Mpulungu Districts of Northern Province which have had recurrent cholera epidemics in the past. The project goal is to increase capacity of community structures within most affected areas in undertaking cholera preparedness and response interventions and reduce associated morbidity and mortality. To strengthen the workforce in the implementation of this project, ZRCS hereby invites applications from dynamic, qualified and experienced individuals to take up short term positions of WASH Officers; one to be stationed in Nsumbu (Nsama) and the other one in Mpulungu respectively.
The job holder, in close coordination with the Health and Care Officer and under the supervision of the Health and Care Manager, will spearhead implementation of activities related to Cholera preparedness and Prevention in hotspots in each of the afore said districts.The WASH Officer will support all efforts in designing and undertaking of activities that aim at imrpoving access to clean and safe water, improved hygiene and sanitation practices , improved treatment and referral mechanism of diarrhoeal diseases through strengthening of capacity and coordination of community structures, in collaboration with local health facilities and other actors, to ensure sucess and sustainability of the interventions.
In close coordination with the Health and Care Manager, WASH Officers will be responsible for Responsible for overall field level implementationfield of the project in line with approved project document, budgets and within the agreed timeframe. Other key responsibilities include;
- Collaborate with other stakeholders in preparedness and response to Cholera outbreaks in the area of operation
- Participate in all District Epidemic Preparedness Control and Response interventions
- Work closely with the Ministry of Health in all surveillance activities of diarrheal disease trends in the district
- Conduct detailed WASH assessments to identify gaps, barriers, enabling factors and effective communication methods/channels to instigate changes in behaviours,
- Ensure compliance wth all ZRCS, donor and Government policies, procedures and guidelines that relate to the implementation of the Cholera Preparedness Project
- Ensure project deadlines and quality report standards are met
- Ensure resources are used efficiently and well accoubted for
- Maintains records that provide for proper evaluation, control and documentation of assigned activities
- Work together with other staff to ensure that key trainings meet the standard required to facilitate knowledge and reinforcement of desired behaviour and practices as it relates to WASH.
- Conduct capacity building of volunteers in case tracking and transmission route interventions, and key WASH tools such as CLTS and PHAST methodologies
- Actively participate in formation and equipping of the Branch Rapid Response Teams (BRRTs)
- Monitoring safe water quality at community and household level
- In the event of an outbreak, support BRRTs to carry out case tracking and transmission route interventions in cooperation with MoH
- Develop activity plans and budgets for technical support activities related to WASH.
Support M&E of WASH activities in coordination with relevant stakeholders.
- Represent ZRCS at all appropriate fora within the district, including all related stakeholder/sector coordination meetings; WASH, Epidemic Preparedness Control and Prevention and others necessary
- Actively pursue strong collaboration with government agencies/departments and line ministries and other NGOs working in the same project area
- Develop effective working relationships with local leaders
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Diploma in Environmental Health, Public Health and/or other related field (Degree will be an added advantage)
- 5 years’ experience in Public Health, WASH with strong background in Epidemic Preparedness and Control
- Experience with CSOs and humanitarian Organization preferred
- Able to ride a Motor bike and use water transport,
- Knowledge of Project cycle management and people centred community development programming
- Proven Knowledge of CLTS, BCC, CEA and PHAST
- Computer Literacy in Microsoft suite and Kobo is a must
- Fluency in English and the local language (Bemba and Mambwe) is a must
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Willingness to work in a typical rural environment
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and in a highly results oriented work culture
Zambia Red Cross volunteers who meet the prescribed qualifications are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, kindly follow the link .
Closing date: 17th September 2020 @ 17:00hrs
To apply for this job please visit ee.humanitarianresponse.info .