Deadline of this Job:
07 June 2021
Within Zambia , Lusaka , South - Central Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Over the period 2016-17, AfDB led the process of preparing the second phase of the Strategy for the Harmonization of Statistics in Africa (SHaSA-2) to cover the period 2017-2026. The SHaSA.2 was approved by the AU Heads of State Summit in January 2018 (Annex 4 in the Technical Annexes). The strategy is intended to provide the statistical base for the African integration agenda espoused by the AU Heads of State & Government.
The Bank was tasked by the AU Heads of State & Government to spearhead the mobilisation of financial resources to implement the SHaSA.2. The proposed Statistical Capacity Building Program phase 5 (SCB-5) therefore represents the Bank’s contribution to the implementation of the SHaSA-2, consequently bringing the aspirations of the African leadership to bear.
The proposed SCB program is the fifth (SCB-5) since 2002 and is anchored on many years of accumulated practical experience and incremental value addition to the African Statistical System. The SCB aims to build an efficient African statistical system that generates reliable, harmonized and timely statistical information covering political, economic, social, environmental, climate and cultural development dimensions to support the African integration agenda.
Successful regional integration requires accurate, reliable, timely, harmonized and comparable data within and across (RECs) to support policy, planning, monitoring and evaluation. This is consistent with the Abuja Treaty of 1991, which provided for the establishment of the Economic Community endowed with a single currency. The RECs constitute the cornerstones of the integration agenda and therefore need to build commensurate statistical capacity over time to facilitate the process towards full integration. The proposed program seeks to respond to this need and advance the process.
To this end, COMESA has been selected to be the implementing agency for the SCB V program. The direct beneficiaries from the project are the National Statistical Systems (NSSs) across Africa, all the Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the Sub-regional Organizations (SROs), Statistical Training Centers (STCs) and AFRISTAT. Other indirect beneficiaries are all the people of Africa, who will benefit from improved statistical capacity and resultant reliable and timely statistics. The benefits transcend national boundaries as they will have regional and global impacts, since statistics is a global public good.
In order to support the efficient functioning of the SCB V, a number of experts are required to fill positions in the program implementation unit.
Job Title: Travel Assistant
Programme: Statistical Capacity Building Program Phase 5
Duty Station: Lusaka, Zambia
Contract Duration: Two (2) Years.
Remuneration: Usd 2,500 All Inclusive Monthly
Reporting to: Head of Procurement
Scope of Work:
The Travel Assistant will provide logistical support to the SCB V program ensuring that all travel related to the prvision of capacity building activities and delivery of tecahncial assistance in program Member countries is efficiently coordinated.
Specific Tasks/Key Responsibilities
• Provide three quote estimation on travel to enable Divisions/Projects/Units to prepare their activities for budget approval.
• Analyze all Mission Clearance Forms with all required attachments such as Aide Memoir and approved Budget to compute flight reservations. Certifies the forms upon confirming bookings and offers applicable advice on Ticketing time limits to Division/Project/Unit Staff and ensures they are compliant with travel policy requirements and submits for approval by Directorate of Human Resource and Administration.
• Issue and vet (with Procurement) Local Purchase Orders based on approved Mission Clearance forms, before approval by Director of Human Capital and Administration
• Disseminate all the acquired Travel consumables to respective Divisions/Projects/Units through electronic methods.
• Complete all respective Travel documents and files/ stores them in chronological order.
• Dispatch copies of issued LPOs manually to Division of Budget and Finance for payments to service suppliers prior to issuing tickets.
• Resolve numerous ticket queries ranging from reservations and ticketing re-issuance / revalidation that arise from combination of official activities such as date change, extensions etc. ending with demanding for Ticketing Tracking Form at the end.
• Provide expert information of immigration and health matters to staff members /delegates for all travel intermediate points and destinations.
• Offer support on recommending and updating of Travel Suppliers Framework Contracts.
• Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor from time to time
• Minimum Academic Qualifications: Grade Twelve Certificate
• Professional Certifications/Qualifications: International Air Transport Association (IATA) Foundation Diploma
Skills and Experience
a. Specialized Knowledge:
• Trained in IATA Basic Airfares and Ticketing
• Trained with a Certificate in operating airline travel software, such as Galileo or Amadeus.
• Knowledge of IATA Airlines and location/airport codes with world geography
• Knowledge of the IATA phonetic alphabet
b. Minimum Experience: Five (5) years of working experience in a competitive Travel establishment.
Working Language Requirements
• The working language shall be English therefore, applicants must be fluent in both spoken and written English
• A combination of knowledge and use of English with either French or Arabic will be an added advantage
Eligibility for Application
• Applicants for the General Service position of Travel Assistant must be resident in Zambia.
• Citizens of COMESA Member States are encouraged to apply.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Professional Certificate
Job application procedure
Applications MUST be submitted electronically through email on the prescribed COMESA APPLICATION FORM which can be accessed at the following COMESA website: http://www.comesa.int/ , Opportunities, COMESA Job Application Format.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications with the project job title in the subject line should reach the address below not later than 7th June 2021 16:00 hours Lusaka, Zambia time.
Head of Procurement
Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa
Ben Bella Road,
P.O Box 30051,
Email: [email protected]