- Company: First Quantum Minerals
- Location: Zambia
- State: Kalumbila
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Zambia
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose:
The role exists to oversee day to day activities at the sentinel water treatment plant to ensure quality output of the product.
Specific Job Responsibility:
- Lead a team of assistants in day-to-day operations of the treatment, production, packaging and distribution of bottled drinking water.
- Maintain good standard hygiene practices during the operations and the surrounding environment.
- Monitor and maintain all applicable production permits and ensure that the facility complies with all government regulations and company policies.
- Conduct physical verification of plant and consumables and maintain stock requirement levels.
- Tracks key performance indicators for the quality product by adhering to the quality control procedures.
- Perform scheduled and random water quality tests along the production line from raw water to the finish product and store batch samples for future confirmations.
- Maintain and calibrate the onsite water analysis equipment (pH meters, turbidity and DR900).
- Develop and maintain Water Bottling plant standard operation procedures and technical guidelines.
- Prepare samples required for offsite analysis to Zambia Compulsory Standards Agency, Zambia Bureau of Standards or to other accredited independent laboratories.
- Enter test results on lab data system and generate reports and maintain logs and other records.
- Conduct and engage necessary personnel for calibration and troubleshooting test on the bottling equipment and performing other various tests for effective operation of the plant.
- Assist with routine maintenance of bottling equipment and facility.
- Maintain production and inventory records. Provide weekly/monthly reports as required.
- Compile of the monthly report(s) on the production and performance of the plant and recommend on the improvements to be made.
- Ensure adherence to workplace health, safety and environmental standards for the bottling plant.
- Identify, eliminate or minimise hazards as far as reasonably practical to mitigate potential risks.
- Contribute to establishing a positive and proactive safety culture within the business.
- Immediately report and accurately record any incidents or near misses.
- Perform any other duties assigned to by supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Knowledge and skills in laboratory analysis
- Numerical ability necessary for measuring of cleaning agents and chemicals, including stock measurements.
- Adherence to environmental monitoring plans, procedures, technical guidelines, site operation SHE procedures, corporate commitments and take responsibility for self-development and continued learning.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge in Environmental law and compliance requirements
Experience required to perform in this job:
- At least 2 years work experience in Water Treatment Facility.
- Basic knowledge and experience with Environmental Management System (EMS).
- Experience in the mining industry is an added advantage.
Key Job Attributes:
- Punctuality and good time management skills
- Positive attitude is imperative
- Proactive and thorough approach to monitoring activities
- Strong aptitude to listen and learn
- Team player and good interpersonal skills
- Keen interest in Environmental issues
- Strong commitment to SHE
- Must pay attention to detail
- Good communication skills.
- Full Grade 12 certificate.
- Minimum Diploma in Water/Chemical/Civil Engineering
- A valid driving licence
- Must be computer literate