Social Behavior Change Advisor, USAID End Malaria Program
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
PATH is leading a consortium of partners in the implementation of the recently awarded USAID End Malaria Program (EMP). This is a 5-year Cooperative Agreement. In partnership with Jhpiego and the Zambia Centre for Communication Programs (ZCCP), guided by the National Malaria Elimination Strategic Plan and in collaboration with the End Malaria Council (EMC), the End Malaria Program (EMP) will build on the PATH learning and momentum achieved as lead for PMI’s Program for Advancement of Malaria Outcomes (PAMO). In line with PMI’s strategy, the EMP will assist the GRZ to accelerate progress toward its goal of eliminating local malaria infection and disease in Zambia by achieving high levels of effective coverage with high-quality malaria control interventions, leading to major reductions in malaria prevalence, incidence, severe disease, and death in four focal high-burden provinces: Luapula, Northern, Muchinga, and Eastern.
PATH seeks to recruit a Social Behavior Change Advisor who will provide technical guidance in the design, monitoring and evaluation of malaria SBC activities, provide technical assistance to national and sub-national malaria elimination program through collaborating with SBC working groups. The SBC advisor will take the technical lead role in developing and guiding the implementation of sound and innovative SBC activities in the provinces.
Provide senior-level technical leadership and guidance to the malaria program and SBC by supporting the establishment and quality of SBC activities
- Provide technical support, and build the capacity of government staff, project staff, and local GUCs in SBC throughout project design and implementation.
- Lead the development of social and behavior change communication strategies and support the development of materials such as SBC tools, training modules, and guidelines.
- Lead the design and implement SBC, identify innovative approaches including results measurement to show achievement of program SBC targets.
- Support NMEP in the development of the NMEP communication strategy.
- Provide sound technical guidance and leadership to the SBC interventions being implemented by local partners under Grants under Contracts
- Provide SBC guidance in the development of the annual work plan in partnership with the government
- Oversee the writing of technical and program reports and best practices and disseminate this.
- Oversee and coordinate formative and evaluative research to design high impact intervention based on social and cultural context that is province-specific.
- Advocacy and information dissemination in Zambia and abroad.
- Based on research findings and stakeholder consultations, coordinate with the SBC team to lead the development of evidence-based and behavior-centered SBC interventions, tools, and materials.
- Serve as the point person for mobilizing EMP technical, logistic, and publications support to the National Malaria Elimination Program in developing or revising evidence-based strategies, policies, and operational plans to accelerate elimination efforts.
- Develop and maintain the landscape of key opportunities to influence national, private sector, and donor commitment towards elimination.
- Oversee assigned staff or consultants conducting policy assessments or analyses and promote opportunities to grow private sector funding for malaria in Zambia.
- Required Experience
- Degree in communication, public health, social science, or related field and postgraduate degree will be an added advantage.
- Eight years of experience working in the social/behavior change, communication, public health, management, and policy realm.
- Demonstrated knowledge and background in SBC including community engagement, SBC strategy development implementation, and monitoring and evaluation. Experience in project management; donor reporting and relations; strategic development.
- Experience managing a comprehensive strategic behavior change program, including communications to advance an organization’s mission and goals required.
- Formal training in and demonstrated understanding of theories and frameworks relating to individual behavior change and broader social responses, the evidence base for social and behavioral/communications interventions and best practices, and familiarity with the current SBC literature is preferred.
- Hands-on experience in designing, planning, implementing, and evaluating behavioral interventions and/or communication campaigns is highly desirable.
- Proven ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with government, partners, donors, and international organizations at various levels.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, including cross-cultural teams.
- Experience developing various web/print/social media or organizing events desired.
- Excellent analytical, written, and oral communication skills.
- Available to travel within the country as needed; availability to travel locally up to 40 percent.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Zambia.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
- Job Location
- Lusaka, Lusaka, Zambia
- Company Location
- Zambia, Lusaka
- Position Type
To apply for this job please visit path.silkroad.com .