UNDP (in close cooperation with WHO and UNICEF) will support the Ministry of Health in Zambia to strengthen the capacities of seven District Medical Health Offices to provide basic immunization services to populations living in remote areas. Under a separate Health System Strengthening (HSS) grant from GAVI, seven Districts will receive equipment (computers, vehicles, motorbikes, boats and bicycles) and funding to do trainings and mentorship visits to health facilities, in addition to signing performance contracts with health facilities and community health workers. These seven districts were chosen because all of them have low immunization coverage. A total of US$749,000 has been set aside for programme and performance based payments.
The Districts will be required to budget and account for the funding received from GAVI using an automated accountancy tool, called Navision. UNDP will provide further mentorship or support to the correct use of Navision, including timely (donor) reporting and asset management for GAVI to the Districts and relevant staff at central level at MoH. This will directly contribute to better planned activities and improve accountability of the seven District Medical Offices for the assets and funds received from GAVI, but it will also improve their program delivery, as delays in disbursements due to missing/incomplete reports will be minimalized.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Program Manager, the Senior QA & Finance Advisor ensures compliance of the financial management and accounting procedures defined for the GAVI grants in for transparent utilization of financial resources and management of the project finances and works in collaborations with the CO operations unit and project teams in the CO. The Senior QA & Finance Advisor works in close collaboration with the programme, operations and staff other within the Country Office.
Summary of Key Functions
- Effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight
- Implementation of operational strategies and procedures
- Projects’ budgets management and proper control of project accounts
- Ensure close monitoring of recipient District Medical Offices
- Facilitation of knowledge building and sharing
The Senior Quality Assurance & Finance Advisor ensures the following functions:
- Ensure effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight including but not limited to financial analysis and oversight of all resources managed by the projects; proper planning, expenditure tracking of financial resources in accordance with UNDP, GAVI rules and regulations; and maintenance of financial processes and internal controls;
- Advise an support oversight of accounting control procedure followed by MoH to ensue transparent utilization of financial resources (Navision) at provincial and district level and accuracy of financial reports provided by MoH;
- Provides strategic oversight and practical management and guidance to ensure the grants’ operations in Zambia are conducted in compliance with ethical practices, UNDP rules and regulations and other applicable policies;
- Monitor accounting and financial activities to identify and mitigate possible violations such as but not limited to fraud, conflict of interest, bribery (or attempted bribery);
- Conduct routine Quality Assurance of financial management systems and oversees legal, contractual and financial compliance activities within the grants in Zambia;
- Identifies trends and/or potential areas of concerns/vulnerable that poses risks; drafts/develops action plans to prevent and detect fraudulent and abusive activities with practical corrective actions; incorporate into grants’ standard operating procedures and provides guidance on implementation;
- Monitoring operational and ‘high risk’ areas of the grants on a routine basis by conduct spot checks on procurement invoices, financial invoices, payment requests, timesheets, bid and award processes;
- Develop, track and report to management financial key performance indicators and submit financial reports to the GAVI on a timely and quality basis;
- Provide to Program Manager internal periodic report on financial procedure followed by MOH as a part of monitoring tool to ensure transparent utilization of financial resources disbursed to MoH (monthly/quarterly/annual). The report would include issues, risks, recommendation and lessons learned as minimum topics;
- Ensures that compliance issue/concerns within UNDP are appropriately evaluated, investigated, resolved and documented;
- Receive all reports from UNDP and stakeholders concerning violation detected or potential violation, review and make recommendations;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Functional Competencies :
- Demonstrates capacity to plan and organize ones work effectively, including support to design, planning and implementation of projects, management of data and reporting;
- Strong analytical skills and strategic thinking, including a sound understanding of the framework of UNDP’s cooperation with the GAVI and MSL/EC;
- Focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates resourcefulness, initiative and ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Builds strong relationships with internal and external clients, including GAVI, MSL/EC and the UN family of agencies;
- Use knowledge and reasoning to identify the strength and weaknesses of alternate solutions, conclusions and approaches to problems;
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized activities related to contract and procurement management;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering;
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Public Administration or Certified Internal Auditor/Certified Public Accountant
- 2 Years of Experience in conducting routine operational quality assurance of financial activities to identify and mitigate possible violations and potential risks to the organization;and strong writing skills required.
- 2 Years of international Experience in health sector, preferably in developing countries; working with an international organization;
- Experience with multi-cultured group of people and systems in high-pressure environment;
- Experience in providing internal periodic financial reports to management;
- Experience in support and oversight of accounting control procedures to ensure transparent utilization of financial resources at provincial and district level;
- Experience of UN or UNDP financial & procurement policies and procedures;
- Experience working with programme and operations staff;
- Experience with maintaining financial processes and internal control
- Strong IT Skills (MS Excel, Word & PowerPoint, Web based accounting such as ERP)
- English fluency and strong writing skills.
- Fluency in English
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
To apply for this job please visit jobs.partneragencies.net .