Lumwana Mine, Solwezi, Zambia.
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Senior Production Engineer.
Reporting to the Production Manager, you will be responsible for assessment of operational productivities related to primary production against the mining budget. The role aim is to assist in the achievement of optimum production results by controlling and managing mining quality, quantity, and consistency through principles of technology, engineering, systems, and project management, combined with direct face activity. This role is the interface between production, mine planning, and operational compliance, having cross-functional responsibilities to deliver projects.
Your duties will include but not limited to the following:
- Analyze productivity data and develop related systems and practical solutions for operational improvement at the production face.
- Provide operational oversight in the productive implementation and use of the fleet management system for optimized machine fleet dispatching.
- Develop a high-performing team of accountable bench supervisors and production coordinators.
- Develop targeted group and individual operator training programmes focused on the primary load and haul fleet productivities.
- Provide the interface between mine planning and mine operations by way of gap analysis and the implementation of practical working plans
- Monitor daily production targets, achievements, dynamic plans to mitigate risk and achieve according to the daily, weekly, and monthly plans.
- Assist in the development of a QA/QC control for all worked and working production benches, faces drilled or implement where already available.
- Assist cost control in line with operational plans to achieve the unit mining cost.
- Promote safe work environment and apply industry best practices in line with Barrick’s occupational health and safety policy.
- Be visible in the workplace, promoting accountability and responsibility, empowering the workforce and targeted personnel to do the same.
- Be available to rotate on shift, as and where operational needs may arise.
- Enforcing all applicable mining standards that relate to the achievement of key production metrics.
Experience & Qualifications
- Full Grade 12 Certificate
- Degree in Mining Engineering
- Member of Engineering Institution of Zambia
- Holder of Blasting license
- Minimum eight (8) years’ experience in mining environment
- Ability to analyse, interpret, and present mine-specific production data.
- Competent in incident/accident investigation.
- Proven commitment to training of subordinates.
- Proven ability to deliver results and act as a change agent with a demonstrated ability to lead a team.
- Good computer skills with the ability to use integrated management systems, word processing, presentation, Microsoft Power BI experience and spreadsheet applications in the MS Office Suite.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks .
To apply for this job please visit jobs.barrick.com .