BCP’s mission is making conservation
of wildlife habitat valuable to people.
BCP is a leading African forest carbon company which seeks to sustainably finance wildlife and habitat conservation through the forest carbon markets. We are working with Community and Government partners to help improve the conservation management over 1 million hectares of globally significant wildlife habitats in Zambia, and to benefit 235,000 people.
BCP is recruiting for a Senior Manager, Carbon to guide BCP into a new phase of project development, conservation technology developments and impact monitoring. The primary responsibility of the Senior Manager is to achieve VCS and CCB verifications, conduct pre-viability studies, oversee impact monitoring, oversee geospatial technology, data management and IT, and to keep BCP at the forefront of REDD+ methodological developments in Zambia and beyond. The position oversees teams dealing with remote sensing and GIS, forest monitoring, and impact monitoring. The position requires advanced remote sensing and GIS skills, as well as skills in data management, conducting field work in rural Africa, advanced spreadsheet skills, excellent English writing skills, knowledge of REDD+ project methodologies. The position is based in Lusaka, Zambia. The main tasks will be managing verification processes, managing consultants and field teams, managing BCP’s database development, data systems and managing teams. This role has the exciting opportunity to lead BCP’s digital technology strategy. The position will require some travel to rural areas, mainly in Africa. The candidate is expected to be a manager, solid team player, with a growth and coaching mindset.
Stuff we’ll trust you with:
- Pre-viability analyses of potential new REDD+ project areas,
- Manage successful VCS and CCB verifications, including PD writing. Flawless English writing technical skills needed.
- RS/GIS: Advanced geo-spatial skills, ability to apply these skills to REDD+ methodologies, advanced spreadsheet management, and data management skills.
- Manage the plot sampling process to produce carbon inventory estimates,
- Managing dispersed teams.
- Train in carbon standards and ensuring project design follows standards and laws.
- Provide technical inputs to policy programs to help build the REDD+ framework in Africa.
- Lead BCP’s consulting service.
- Oversee BCP’s impact monitoring team, data management, and reporting of impact.
- Oversee biodiversity monitoring data collection.
Problem solvers wanted:
- Masters or PhD and 2 years professional experience.
- Advanced scientific report writing.
- Computer skills: Use of FOSS remote sensing and GIS software, such as Java Script for Google Earth Engine, R, Gdal, QGIS, GRASS, data collection tools such as Open Data Kit and CyberTracker, and GPS applications such as BackCountry Navigator.
- Knowledge of GHG mitigation Standards preferred: VCS REDD+ methodologies, the VCS standards and guidelines in general as well as other applicable UNFCCC guidelines such as the IPCC guidelines as well as relevant components of the CCB Standard.
- Project Management, people management and leadership skills.
Stuff you’ll tell people at parties:
BCP is one of the leading REDD+ project development social enterprises in Africa. BCP’s mission is making conservation of wildlife habitat valuable to people. BCP runs two REDD+ projects in Zambia: The Lower Zambezi REDD+ Project and the Luangwa Community Forests Project. The Luangwa project is Africa’s largest REDD+ project by hectarage. The Lower Zambezi REDD+ Project is the world’s only 7 times VCS-verified and triple gold CCB verified REDD+ project. As the 5th highest scoring B Corp in the world, BCP benefits 235,000 people across 13 Chiefdoms. Our vision is community partnerships conserving Africa’s last strongholds starting. In operation for 9 years, we work in over 1 million hectares of globally important wildlife habitats in Zambia.
We even do benefits differently:
- As an equal opportunity employer, a competitive salary will be offered, plus training, plus great holiday benefits, plus the potential for performance bonuses, plus travel opportunities for work, plus health benefits, plus a great work culture, plus career growth, plus working with a diverse and committed team.
Method of Application
Candidates interested in joining an innovative and high-performance team, and working towards doing amazing things in conservation technology and livelihoods, please send a CV, a cover letter, and anything else that makes your application stand out by email:
With Senior Manager, Carbon in the subject line. Please also send 3 reference contacts, a publication list, and anything else that will help your application stand out.
Females are encouraged to apply.